Do you think this will work as an algae scrubber?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dom

Theoretical Reef Keeper
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2016
Messages
7,852
Reaction score
8,306
Location
NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to try this as an algae scrubber. I set up the flow from the return lines to travel along plastic mesh. But I'm unsure if the flow is too quick.
IMG_1782.jpg
 
Last edited:
It will probably grow algae where the light is shining so it might work fine?
 
yup.....
but I think if you change the flow to more waterfall effect across the screen....might work better...just IMO
 
If the 90's were spaced out more,you could turn 2 90's looking at one another with a piece of pipe with 1/8" holes drilled in it and pointed down to create a waterfall(ish) type of flow.
 
yup.....
but I think if you change the flow to more waterfall effect across the screen....might work better...just IMO

I thought about that; it is an easy fix.
 
I thought about that; it is an easy fix.
I think you should let it ride as is and see how it works out as is.

If you change anything I would consider a splash guard to minimize salt creep around the edges.
 
I think you should let it ride as is and see how it works out as is.

If you change anything I would consider a splash guard to minimize salt creep around the edges.

Agreed. I was planning to see how it works the way it is and make tweaks as I go along.

To your earlier point, algae will grow where the light is. Unfortunately, the light covers a large area, which includes the protein skimmer. I'd like to fabricate something to keep the light contained.
 
Would it not be easier to remove the basket and add macroalgae?
 
Would it not be easier to remove the basket and add macroalgae?
That is an alternative. I do have a space in my sump for a refugium. But I wanted to see how a scrubber worked as opposed to a refugium.

I hope this works; I'd like to use the space in the sump to spread out the equipment.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new