Do you use dueling gyres? Do your SPS enjoy it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s kind of what I was thinking . But curious how the flow is
As you can see I didn't have a huge amount of corals when this pictures was taken, but they seem to be doing well with the flow. I have the 2 gyres set in a master/slave configuration so that they alternate being on giving me a nice ebb and flow. My biggest issue with having them vertical is if I turn the flow up too high I can't keep my sandbed in place. They do still create plenty of surface agitation though.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see I didn't have a huge amount of corals when this pictures was taken, but they seem to be doing well with the flow. I have the 2 gyres set in a master/slave configuration so that they alternate being on giving me a nice ebb and flow. My biggest issue with having them vertical is if I turn the flow up too high I can't keep my sandbed in place. They do still create plenty of surface agitation though.
Are they jeabo ?

how do you connect them together ?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they jeabo ?

how do you connect them together ?
Yes they are both jebao scp-150. There is a built in wireless linked mode that allow them to alternate turning on. The only downside of running them this way is that you can't have a random flow, they each run at one constant speed, but you can set how long it takes for them to cycle being on/off get get a nice wave motion in the tank.

Gorgar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you program the alternating flow using hydros?
Screenshot_20210517-185418.jpg

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a pain in my tank. It’s an old acrylic so the cord is a pain for all my pumps. I guess that’s why you pay the big bucks for MPs. I’m getting there. The ultimate would be a gyre with a dry side and a wet side like the MPs. Don’t know how they would do it and it would probably cost ALOT!
I'm guessing Ecotech has a patent on dry side motor pumps. Sometimes I wish I was in engineering because I don't think this concept would be too difficult. The larger gear would be magnetically driven by an external motor and the impellers would be driven by the smaller gear(s) at a 90° angle.

If each impeller was driven by it's own gear (opposite sides of the larger drive gear) they would spin in opposite directions but if a shaft went through an individual gear (like the one pictured) they would spin the same way.

gears.jpg

myakuel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im running 2 xf350s on opposite sides and two mp40s on the back of my 6ft 220 waterbox, but i am running all pumps at 20%, when i raise the flow it looks pretty rough. what are you running your gyres at?

Arricefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two gyre 330's and two mp40's on my 36x36x16 tank. All controlled by the Hydros wave engine and wouldn't have it any other way. The great thing is, they're all in sync/anti sync with each other, which creates some pretty chaotic flow.
As far as cleaning the gyres, I bought extra cages and impellers for both, which was slightly more than one MP40 wetside. So cleaning takes five minutes or less. The dirty cages and impellers go into citric acid and then are ready to go.
1D331B73-2D80-4F85-A4A6-93D500B1F16F.jpeg
I don’t want to highjack but @minus9 would you mind sharing the schedule you use in your wave engine?

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 330's on opposite ends of my 4 footer, they are on anti sync mode with ramping speeds. My sps love it and i have crazy polyp extension

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t want to highjack but @minus9 would you mind sharing the schedule you use in your wave engine?
It's pretty straight forward, I use sps reef during the day and lps reef for the night. Every other hour I run two different programs, storms and detritus, these are constant speed for either 5 or 10 minutes. I want to change things up, so I'm going to create a different profile/schedule that alternates between the back (mp40's) and the sides (gyres) to really stir things up more.
I can start the detritus schedule on the fly via my apex breakout toggle box with a push of a button. So if I see a little buildup, I can simply push a button and detritus starts flying. I'm also thinking of having a calm break during the day, maybe 20 minutes twice a day?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back