Gyre Lifespan?

MeanGreenStompa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm wondering if gyres are just not expected to last, if I bought a dud brand (I have the Icecaps) or if I'm doing something wrong?

I have the icecaps (larger ones, the '400s' I think) two linked on a controller, at either end of my 6ft tank. I clean them in a citric acid bath in a bucket every 3 months. This is the second set I've had on the tank after the first ones just wore out after about 2 years. I've had these about a year now and again I'm seeing the output from them falling dramatically despite my efforts to keep them clean.
I am therefore again looking to replace them and while I like the agitation and wave patterning you can get from a gyre, I don't want to throw more money on the fire if all the brands are as poorly put together as the icecaps seem to be. Are the other brands better? Am I just better served putting large tunzes or sicce pumps in there instead?

Thank you.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll let others chime in who have had icecap pumps long term, but from what I’ve heard they’re generally considered lower quality. You’d probably be better served with maxspect gyres or Red Sea. Although the Red Sea ones are too expensive in my opinion.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maxspect xf250s have been running hard for about 5 years,cleaned twice now. They, and I assume all other gyres, need to be reassembled carefully and properly. Any misalignment will cause premature wear of bushings. Prolonged operation with one rotor stuck(worn bushings) will cause your shaft to wear down, u shaped groove.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back