do you use flash gels?

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone use blue gels on their flash to try and match the tank lights? if so, what do you use, or how do you deal with an external flash?

I have a Canon 70D with various lenses. I use my 100L a lot. I have T5 lights on my tank and I realize I'm having to use high ISO, like 1600, along with 1/100 to 1/160 speed and ~f4. I'd like to try an external flash above the tank. I tried this and it just washes out the photo with too much white light. I was thinking about putting a blue gel on it. I don't have any though. I wonder how you guys handle this, or how you use an external flash?

Thanks!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for CTB gel. Or look for Deep blue and Steele blue.
With CTB (roscoe or gam or lee brands ) get 1/8 or 1/4 so you can slowly add more blue to match.
Basically you are Making the 6500k flash color temp higher and higher to match the lights.

IMO and ime for the best pic you may want to keep the flash just slightly (1 to one 1/2 stop) under the the reef lights for a good pic and hide the color blending of the flash.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I was thinking I could just buy a Rogue kit and stack them until I get a good color.
Yup. Exactly. Better even.
The CTB is middle blue. Our lights generally tend toward a deeper blue.

If it still looks odd, add a light magenta (minus green) as we don’t use much of that and the flash does.

Diehard reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about like blue gels for a flash to make it blue light? I’m just curious because I was thing that might actually be very cool but I just don’t know if it would work

OP
OP
timrocks311

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about like blue gels for a flash to make it blue light? I’m just curious because I was thing that might actually be very cool but I just don’t know if it would work

Yes that's what I was thinking. Blue gels on the flash to match the blue tank lights.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back