Do your neighbors know?

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the view of my house from the street...
IMG_6557.JPG

I'm always curious what people think of my "blue room" when they drive by!

Is your fish room visible from the street?

JBradford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is not. But one of my neighbors knows who is a cop and I was carrying it my new to me (used) skimmer and said "nice bong." Of course this was the first time we met. lol.

I used to have a neighbor that had a blue room in his house and I never knew what it was but now I do.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just make out the blue light in my living room from the road. It is a major road though so people go by at 55+, I've passed by it as well and it just looks like a TV glow. No neighbors in sight of me either to see it.

Tom Blevins

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep our house looks like poltergeist at night for sure, a couple years ago we had a visit
one night from our local sheriff, they picked up a heat source when flying over in the house
in a helicopter one night sourcing out pot houses and from our 5 - 250 watt metal halides on
the infa-red picked it up, I invited them in and all was good.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbors next to me know, because I've told them I have a reef tank. They've never asked. My house is set WAY back from the street on a street with not many houses but lots of through traffic. Mine isn't very obvious it is in my kitchen/dining area that is in an open floor plan home. At the right time of the evening and the right angle you can catch a blue glow. Or if I open the front door and it's dusk on the reef. The only person that has asked is the guy who comes to work on my well, he asked what the "blue glow" from the livingroom was. I told him it was a big reef aquarium (he seemed disappointed:rolleyes:).

I like other's have plenty of Aquarium related recyclables out by the curb to satisfy anyone's curiosity. There's Instant Ocean boxes galore

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a silly story a couple years ago. A neighbor saw wet suits hanging in a garage (thought they were bodies, yeah too much time on their hands), same neighbors saw the lighting emitting from the windows and were sure misdeeds in the growing direction were taking place. These same neighbors called the cops. I can only imagine the neighbors embarrassment as they spied through their blinds.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the view of my house from the street...
IMG_6557.JPG

I'm always curious what people think of my "blue room" when they drive by!

Is your fish room visible from the street?

No way. My neighbors know as least as I can possibly tell them. I even hid my wifi name from automatically showing up on their phones. I recently changed it though.. "pretty fly for a wifi." It's visable. Figured it would be funny since i am basically the only white guy at the end of the street with the exception of 1 other house.

Our city is apparently safer than 3% of cities. We have a home robbery on average every 8hours.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep our house looks like poltergeist at night for sure, a couple years ago we had a visit
one night from our local sheriff, they picked up a heat source when flying over in the house
in a helicopter one night sourcing out pot houses and from our 5 - 250 watt metal halides on
the infa-red picked it up, I invited them in and all was good.
Not allowed to do that anymore o to invasion of privacy

UNCFAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of my daughter lives in our development. She contacted my daughter and asked she knew what her parents were doing. My daughter asked "what are they doing"? The friend responded - "well you know with the blue light glow from the windows" - pot growers. She laughed and told her " nah my dad is a reefer" that made it even more interesting to her friend. She finally told her it was my aquarium lighting.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I always wonder that :) my bedroom is all blue at night from the street.
They probably think I'm a freak with a black light hahah

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This didn't happen to me, but a close friend had a greenhouse propagation setup in his back yard. His neighbors were always overly inquisitive about what he had going on in there. One day, the neighbor spied my friend unloading large bags of a powdery white substance (to make 2 part) and they called the cops. He got the visit of the local police force wanting to see what he had going on in the greenhouse. They got the tour of the large coral vats and got a brief rundown on reefing. He actually found it humorous that they showed up at his house.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the major highway 55+ category. Often wondered myself what peeps must think. No problems with law. They've come out a few times when we were shooting exploding targets, so I think neighbors are to scared to call about "strange" lights after we popped of more targets with popo cruisers in drive than before they were called.

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year ago I got one of those table top herb growers from my mother-in-law and tried growing some tomatoes, basil and cilantro in the front room opposite my fish tank- bright fluorescent lights with green plants right in front of the window!

Unbeknownst to me, the law legalizing pot passed earlier that week... never got a visit from law enforcement fortunately.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 87 33.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.5%
Back