Do your neighbors know?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago I started keeping my front window blinds and curtains open over the winter day times to keep the room warm and often forgot to close them after dark. I hadn't really paid it any thought until my neighbors began asking me why I wasn't keeping my blinds open any longer because they enjoyed watching my fish tank as they drove past LOL! The blue light from my 180g tank shines to the other side of the street. The tank is a peninsula 12' from the window.

Edit: thought my image attached...
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/588fdcefbfd70/20170130_193814.jpg?

Last edited:

mikenestle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine glows out a front window to the street and a side window to an alley. Now I want the law to knock on the door.

I am going to open the door and before they have a chance to say anything I'm going to say "I am a reefer are you here for the Urchin?"

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they know.

IMG_3244.JPG

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I can't tell you how many times I've thought about making this thread. Recently moved my tank to the other side of the room to try and avoid this. It's still there but only just so.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The previous place I was at I was renting a townhome - I would sell frags to local reefers and they'd stop by at all hours of the day. The blue light was pretty visible from the front of the house. I only had one neighbor ask what I was growing and how much I was "moving" a month with the traffic I was getting... learned something about my neighbor that day. :) My landlord asked if I was growing pot when she saw the lighting equipment and chemicals.

At my new townhouse the neighbors refer to our place as the "blue house". We've had a few people ask us what the heck is going on (our houses sort of make a U structure and our living room faces inward so everyone gets blasted by the blue lights). I've had several people come and check out my tank. Everyone seems interested. Only had one guy walking a dog past my garage laugh and ask if I was bagging my "coke" when I was measuring salt in my mixing station.

Why does everyone think it's all about drugs? :rolleyes:

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does everyone think it's all about drugs? :rolleyes:
Yeah, I'm waiting for the cops to bust down my door when I test the water. I test in the kitchen and I'm visible through the bow window to the street and wonder what people think when they go by and see me with syringes and chemicals.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm waiting for the cops to bust down my door when I test the water. I test in the kitchen and I'm visible through the bow window to the street and wonder what people think when they go by and see me with syringes and chemicals.

My kitchen looks like an aquaculturing facility and a laboratory blew up :D

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since we moved the tank is in the basement so no blue glow! But I can spot those houses driving down the road! HA!

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the short answer is if they have any reefing experience then yes if they don't you are a criminal. Pretty much covers it.
And I think the one post had a great idea for a second thread. Which is when you see that glow in someone else's house what do you do to try and get to speak to them. Lol I know I've tried

Jdm_kyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several people ask me what the blue glow was and they all found out on Halloween.

One group of kids rang the door bell and while scavenging for the best candy in the bowl, one child pushed my wife out of the wat and walked into our house to see what the light was coming from. Well as the rest of the kids walk inside to see what it was the mother was deeply apologizing until she turned the corner. At that moment she look at the tank and was like "holy s***" and all of them started running the most hated questions in this hobby. I ended up putting a blanket up around the arch to block the blue from the front door.

As for law enforcement. I haven't been effective. I've gone around my neighborhood at night looking for signs of a fellow reefer but to no avail.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back