Documentation question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit, I'm disappointed right now. I unboxed my P4 and Mitras light fixtures today thinking it would be fairly easy to get everything set up.

I can find absolutely nothing about how I am supposed to get the light fixtures talking to the P4. Can someone help point me to the proper documentation?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steps:
1. Install PWC expansion card into ProfiLux
2. Power up, verify card is visible
3. Power up Mitras, change wireless mode from Standalone to Slave, set channel to same as PWC card is set to. Leave ProfiLux Device ID as 1, and increment each light’s Device ID ... 2, 3, 4 ... etc
Done.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steps:
3. Power up Mitras, change wireless mode from Standalone to Slave, set channel to same as PWC card is set to. Leave ProfiLux Device ID as 1, and increment each light’s Device ID ... 2, 3, 4 ... etc
Done.
Well, that may explain my frustration.

I had no idea I needed a PWC expansion card to make this work. :confused:

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess for now I will make one a master and the other a slave and run them separate from the P4 until I can get the card installed.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you order the PWC card?
Nope, but it is on order now!

Wish I would have known that I needed one before banging my head on a table for 4 hours today!

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Steps:
Done.
is this documented somewhere/anywhere?

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, for clarity, @Marco@GHLUSA, to control the Mitras lights via the profilux you have to get the PWC and connect wirelessly? There is no way to plug it in with a cable?

And I suppose for more clarity is there something else I'm missing (I don't have a Profilux yet so these are pre-purchase questions)? Like it doesn't matter because you can use MyGHL to do everything you need or something...

On, Tony

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, for clarity, @Marco@GHLUSA, to control the Mitras lights via the profilux you have to get the PWC and connect wirelessly? There is no way to plug it in with a cable?

And I suppose for more clarity is there something else I'm missing (I don't have a Profilux yet so these are pre-purchase questions)? Like it doesn't matter because you can use MyGHL to do everything you need or something...

On, Tony
It isn't really a big deal, I just wish I wouldn't have wasted the time trying to make it work. The lights don't gain any functionality by controlling them with the P4. Using the P4 you set it up as the master and the 2 lights (or however many) as slaves. Then you can log onto the P4 using GCC and change your light profiles there.
Without using the P4, the only difference is that you set one light as the master and the other as a slave. Then you log onto the master light using GCC to make changes. You can connect to the light wirelessly if you set it up that way.

So its the same software, all the same functionality, just a different place to log on and you cannot monitor your lighting using the touch screen without the card.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't really a big deal, I just wish I wouldn't have wasted the time trying to make it work. The lights don't gain any functionality by controlling them with the P4. Using the P4 you set it up as the master and the 2 lights (or however many) as slaves. Then you can log onto the P4 using GCC and change your light profiles there.
Without using the P4, the only difference is that you set one light as the master and the other as a slave. Then you log onto the master light using GCC to make changes. You can connect to the light wirelessly if you set it up that way.

So its the same software, all the same functionality, just a different place to log on and you cannot monitor your lighting using the touch screen without the card.

Ok, thanks. Just trying to understand it myself as I'm thinking about getting a set myself at some point.

So what's the advantage of getting the PWC and running it through the ProfiLux then?

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Centralized control.

If you have a PWC card, you can connect to the P4 and control your lighting schedule from a single connection point.

If you don't have a PWC card, you have two separate connection points; 1 for the P4 and 1 for the LX7. Any changes you want to make to the LX7 will require you to connect directly to the LX7 itself.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Centralized control.

If you have a PWC card, you can connect to the P4 and control your lighting schedule from a single connection point.

If you don't have a PWC card, you have two separate connection points; 1 for the P4 and 1 for the LX7. Any changes you want to make to the LX7 will require you to connect directly to the LX7 itself.

Gotcha, thanks very much.
It seems like the PWC is something that would be really nice to have, but is not actually necessary at all. So the kind of thing you think about a lot, then decide you just can't justify the cost, then you order it anyway and feel a bit guilty but get over it once it arrives cause it's kind of great.

Also this means I can get just the Mitras (or 2) to start and have everything full control and functionality out of the box. And then get the profilux later?

Cheers, Tony

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, thanks very much.
It seems like the PWC is something that would be really nice to have, but is not actually necessary at all. So the kind of thing you think about a lot, then decide you just can't justify the cost, then you order it anyway and feel a bit guilty but get over it once it arrives cause it's kind of great.

Also this means I can get just the Mitras (or 2) to start and have everything full control and functionality out of the box. And then get the profilux later?

Cheers, Tony
It is completely unnecessary imo. I just want it for that centralized control. It just saves you a few clicks other than for monitoring. The Mitras are fully functional without the Profilux.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can control your LX7s right out of the box, no need for the PWC card. :)

Later down the road if you decide to jump into a ProfiLux 4, you'll have the option to add an extra layer of convenience by adding a PWC card. You don't NEED the card, but it sure is nice to have.

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Required? No, absolutely not.
Nice to have? IMHO - Yes.
Add additional Features? Yes.
* Push button maintenance Illumination program
* Integration
** Temp control - if temps get high, reduce or turn off lighting
** Light effects based on input
etc.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to follow up on this. I noticed the listing for the Mitras LX7206 has been updated with this information. I'm glad it got added!

upload_2018-1-12_12-46-41.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back