Documenting my Care of Pseudogramma Xantha (Red Podge)

Vapor_Tsunami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have obtained a Pseudogramma Xantha, also possibly known as the red podge, yellow podge, or lava basslet, and I will be using this thread to document my care of it daily. This species is rare in home aquaria, and I hope to give insight on what it takes to care for these mysterious little fish.

I ordered her today from Live Aquaria, and she should arrive by Tuesday. I'll post the sale page on here to get a picture since she was part of their WYSIWYG diver's den.
I'm naming her Ripley, and I'll buy some live brine shrimp to try and get her eating before trying to get her on frozen mysis. I'll make another post when she arrives.
Happy Fishkeeping
-Vapor_Tsunami

Sigmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to follow. Almost ordered a couple of times, but did not have one of my tanks available to really dedicated to a potential difficult eater. Eager to hear about your experiences.

OP
OP
Vapor_Tsunami

Vapor_Tsunami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Status Update: She is currently settling down, I acclimated her and put her in the aquarium, I would take a picture but she is hiding and the lights are still off. She is looking healthy and active, and I have high hopes. I will try feeding her frozen mysis shrimp around 7 pm.

OP
OP
Vapor_Tsunami

Vapor_Tsunami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I have not been posting many updates, I have yet to see her since I first put her in the aquarium. I've been periodically putting in frozen copepods and mysis (and target feeding my corals while im at it), but I still haven't seen her.

OP
OP
Vapor_Tsunami

Vapor_Tsunami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoo boy today has been an exciting day for the tank. For starters, I got a new live rock, and it has oodles and oodles of hitchhikers. From the ones I identified, I saw several bristle worms and brittle stars, an anenome that I'll keep an eye on because it might be aptasia, and I'm not sure but there might be an octopus, I saw something with arms and suckers on the outside of the rock and it grabbed my glove while I was handling it. I also got brine shrimp, and I saw ripley for the first time since putting her in! I only got a peek of her face, but she was looking healthy and active. Sadly I made too much noise and scared her away b4 I could take a picture. Either way the lights are off for the night, and I will look again in the morning.

OP
OP
Vapor_Tsunami

Vapor_Tsunami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the anemone in question

Attachments

• IMG_0807.png
    IMG_0807.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
OP
OP
Vapor_Tsunami

Vapor_Tsunami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? Have you seen her again?
I've seen her a couple times here and there. She tends to be bolder and come out whenever the lights are going out. She is still hiding, but from what I've seen she seems healthy. I feed her mysis and pods occasionally, and I also got some peppermint shrimp to deal with aptasia.

OP
OP
Vapor_Tsunami

Vapor_Tsunami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom managed to capture these incredible pictures of Ripley for you guys! She seems to be a lot more bold at night, personally I think she is coming out because the peppermint shrimp were getting close to her
IMG-9953.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-9944.jpg
    IMG-9944.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 87

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the anemone in question
Light bulb anenome. Should be fine according to most sources. Knowing the scourge that is aiptasia I don't really trust any anenome outside of well documented hobby common species and I got rid of any anenomes that came in on my live rock.

OP
OP
Vapor_Tsunami

Vapor_Tsunami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light bulb anenome. Should be fine according to most sources. Knowing the scourge that is aiptasia I don't really trust any anenome outside of well documented hobby common species and I got rid of any anenomes that came in on my live rock.
I'm almost certain it was aptasia, we got rid of the rock because at first there were like 3 anenomes and when we took it out there were over a dozen

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back