Does 0.1ppm PO4 is my source salt water enough for an algae outbreak?

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my mixed salt water has 0.1ppm of phosphate after mixing for a day. I have crazy GHA in the tank. After reading on here I saw an article from Randy Homes Farley saying that feeding adds substantially more PO4 by feeding - so the source water isn’t the issue. Is this the case?

if so, would running carbon and GFO fix this? I have a pair of clowns, a captive dragonet I feed, a banghai cardinal, and an aptasia eating filefish. I would love to add a hawk fish and yellow wrasse but don’t see it feasible since I’m already struggling with nutrients.
I’m down to two ideas: either move the dragonet to its own tank or would running GFO and carbon fix this? Tia

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my mixed salt water has 0.1ppm of phosphate after mixing for a day. I have crazy GHA in the tank. After reading on here I saw an article from Randy Homes Farley saying that feeding adds substantially more PO4 by feeding - so the source water isn’t the issue. Is this the case?

if so, would running carbon and GFO fix this? I have a pair of clowns, a captive dragonet I feed, a banghai cardinal, and an aptasia eating filefish. I would love to add a hawk fish and yellow wrasse but don’t see it feasible since I’m already struggling with nutrients.
I’m down to two ideas: either move the dragonet to its own tank or would running GFO and carbon fix this? Tia
GFO may help

GFO didn't help enough to get our tank's phosphates down, also had high nitrates despite weekly water changes (I'm an overfeeder but trying to keep in check), tried a few different things and finally adding bio-pellet reactor and letting it have its 4 week ramp up time (week 3 began making difference) has worked for us.

Try GFO reactor or put in canister or other high flow solution - just putting in a nylon stocking and tossing in sump doesn't get enough water flow thru GFO.

For your GHA, keep getting in there and pulling it out. I ordered more snails to help me with GHA as I'm also fighting GHA (and added a 4' 40w UV). Snails arrive middle of this week.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that feeding probably is going to add way more po4 than your source water but I’d still want to track down where it’s coming from. Have you tested your rodi water before you mix the salt? If so then your ato water is also adding to your total po4. If it’s the salt mix I’d think about switching brands.

What are your tank water parameters showing? It would be best to have a full picture of things to be able to advise you on future steps.

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that feeding probably is going to add way more po4 than your source water but I’d still want to track down where it’s coming from. Have you tested your rodi water before you mix the salt? If so then your ato water is also adding to your total po4. If it’s the salt mix I’d think about switching brands.

What are your tank water parameters showing? It would be best to have a full picture of things to be able to advise you on future steps.
It’s definitely in my RODI water as I use Fritz RPM. I used to not have a GHA issue but I do now, and when I checked the TDS on the machine it’s reading 2. That’s what prompted me to test. I’ll be purchasing new membranes to start changing a lot of water. Here’s a pic of the tank parameters.
I also dose Nopox daily.
Here’s the tank currently. I spent an hour is so pulling out GHA earlier today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 17

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back