Does a 25 gallon require a stand? I need to move my bullying clownfish. Or should I move the goby?

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clownfish that started bullying my yellow watchman Goby after a year of being together. I put him in an isolation box and he seems to be doing better but I can't leave him in there forever. Now I haven't seen my tailspot blenny that has been in there since August 19th in a week, so I am not sure if they killed him or not. They are currently in a Red Sea Max E 170 that is a 45 gallon AIO. I feel like my best bet is to move the clownfish because they will just keep bullying any fish I put in there??? However, a 25 gallon plus a stand starts getting fairly pricey for the one I want. Ultimately I want a larger tank so don't necessarily want to spend 800 dollars on a tank just for the clownfish.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It depends on where you put the tank. Keep in mind, a 25 gallon tank will hold just over 100 pounds of water. Deduct from that the displacement of sand and rock and add the weight of those and any equipment...

As long as your furniture or counter where you set the tank up can support 300 pounds you can use it.

Is that what you're asking? You don't have to buy a stand and tank combo, you can build your own or buy a different one. You CAN put it on the ground but that isn't necessarily the best idea. I like to put a 2*4 under each front and back edge so air flow can occur under the tank when they're on the ground.

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on where you put the tank. Keep in mind, a 25 gallon tank will hold just over 100 pounds of water. Deduct from that the displacement of sand and rock and add the weight of those and any equipment...

As long as your furniture or counter where you set the tank up can support 300 pounds you can use it.

Is that what you're asking? You don't have to buy a stand and tank combo, you can build your own or buy a different one. You CAN put it on the ground but that isn't necessarily the best idea. I like to put a 2*4 under each front and back edge so air flow can occur under the tank when they're on the ground.
That was my question. Thank you for your response. When I googled the weight of a 25 gallon tank I figured it would be around 300 pounds. I wasn't sure if a dresser or night stand would support that much weight.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back