Does a pistol shrimp NEED a watchman?

  • Thread starter Thread starter _cpate3_
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

_cpate3_

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 10, 2023
Messages
450
Reaction score
305
Location
Trenton
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My watch man died a while back and my pistol shrimp has been alone. Last week I added a royal gramma to the tank, and it decided the caves the pistol shrimp made were better than the caves in the rock, and every night I see and hear it getting shot and beat up by the pistol shrimp. The gramma didn’t eat yesterday, and I haven’t seen it today so my suspicion is the pistol shrimp had enough of the intrusion. How do I prevent this from happening with every new fish I add? Would a watchman simply stop the problem?
 
Seems like the pistol shrimp has it under control. I have never tried to keep one, but have heard that sometimes they treat new gobies the same as a gramma? I think I would try one new goby and see how that goes.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new