Pistol Shrimp - How reef safe?

Raphael Dalmeida

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2018
Messages
316
Reaction score
162
Location
Queensland, Australia
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just got a small pocillopora colony, as usual I dip it. And there were 2 small SPS crabs and 2 small pistol shrimps.

The SPS crabs I left in the tank the pistols I'm quarantining. I'm not sure how reef safe they are.

The Pocillopora colony was bought from store wild collected (from Australia, likely Queensland state).

My tank is a 180gallon mixed reef, quite a few LPS but predominantly SPS's. My smaller fishes are a small male clownfish and a mandarin fish, I also have a coral banded shrimp. Also have snails, hermits, fighting conch, tuxedo urchin.

Should I add them to the tank to the Poci colony ?

Here are macro photos of the pistol shrimp.

IMG_20240821_192327.jpg


IMG_20240821_192302.jpg
 
Looks like a commensal Poccilipora pistol shrimp Alpheus lottini, I would put it back in the coral, they won't harm the coral, and in the wild protect the coral from some predators while using the coral for shelter.

Thanks man, I will put him back to the Poci.

So not much danger of him trying to attack my fish I suppose. He'd be just like the SPS crabs ?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 8.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 5.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new