Does a stand like this support the weight?

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the corners of this 75G, none of them have a direct support to the ground. The only thing fully supporting the weight of the rim is the particle board it's sitting on.

Further, if you looked at this from the side, you would see the same thing with the entire front and back rim of the tank (it overhangs the support to the ground, because the tank (18inch) is wider than the shelf support (16 inch).

I'm no engineer, but I'm curious with the way rimmed tanks distribute weight if this stand is sound?

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 12.13.14 AM.png

bingus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a petsmart stand correct? ive seen other people who have bought the 55gal version post about how after adding water to the tank in instantly started bowing in the middle...

OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a petsmart stand correct? ive seen other people who have bought the 55gal version post about how after adding water to the tank in instantly started bowing in the middle...

Yeah this is the marineland 75 G from petsmart.

I'm wondering if reinforcing the inside with 2x4s and replacing the particleboard top with plywood is good enough, or if adding external support is necessary so the corners are actually supported directly to the ground.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this is the marineland 75 G from petsmart.

I'm wondering if reinforcing the inside with 2x4s and replacing the particleboard top with plywood is good enough, or if adding external support is necessary so the corners are actually supported directly to the ground.
If it's made from mdf I'd pass that stuff will swell up overnight if you get a little water on it

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree. Will swell. Run a support right down the middle of 4x4 or in the old days we made shelves out of particle boards and 3 rows of cement blocks...back when the blocks were 50 cents a piece...and didn't worry about weight. Plywood...use 3/4 or 1" and seal edges and top with paint/varnish for not bending. Get those new butcher board tops you see at lowes/home depot, they'd be great!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back