Does a sump "need" sections (baffles)?

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!
Just wondering if a sump really needs sections, or is it OK just to have input into a filter sock, then into a tank with live rock, and equipment (heater, protein skimmer, etc., then back to the tank?
Thanks!
Ed

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!
Just wondering if a sump really needs sections, or is it OK just to have input into a filter sock, then into a tank with live rock, and equipment (heater, protein skimmer, etc., then back to the tank?
Thanks!
Ed
Need, no. Do they have their purpose, yes. Many people run tubs as sumps just as your are describing. Open with gear and rock and it works.

Baffles can help when you need dedicated sections for things like a fuge keep your macro algae separate from everything else. Bubble traps are very handy and not allowing micro bubbles back through return pumping into your display.

Not needed, but helpful if you want them.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but they help your filtration work more efficiently.

scolson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I can't make up my mind on a sump layout, I've decided to go with a 40 breeder with no permanent baffles for now. It's going to generally be a left-to-right flow but water will be the same height everywhere. I'm going to use Aquamesh to fence off a fuge area.

I think the Aquamesh and refugium will take care of the microbubbles. Don't know if it will work or not but since breeders are on sale at Petco right now, it's an inexpensive mistake if it doesn't work.

scolson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite that good - 50% off.

Just put in an order online for a 40 breeder for $49.99. Since I'm visiting my mom in Oregon, I'm going to pick it up tomorrow on my way back to Washington and save an additional $5 in tax :cool:.

Also picking up two 20 longs for future QT at $24.99 each.

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I can't make up my mind on a sump layout, I've decided to go with a 40 breeder with no permanent baffles for now. It's going to generally be a left-to-right flow but water will be the same height everywhere. I'm going to use Aquamesh to fence off a fuge area.

I think the Aquamesh and refugium will take care of the microbubbles. Don't know if it will work or not but since breeders are on sale at Petco right now, it's an inexpensive mistake if it doesn't work.
What’s aquamesh?

scolson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the BRS videos they referenced the black mesh but I think that was just a generic statement about aquamesh.

I have not decided yet on what size I'll use. From other threads discussing using this stuff for filtration, I've seen people recommend something with 30-40 ppi (pores per inch) for the best bio media filtration effects and that seems to equate to the "fine" grey mesh. I think that would be pretty effective at eliminating any bubbles too.

But I'm a little concerned that it will clog with random bits of chaeto, so I'm leaning towards one of the coarser weaves.

In my layout the refugium will be between the skimmer and the return section. I don't think any bubbles are going to make it through the refugium anyway so I'm not too worried about bubbles.

It will be trial and error for sure, so I might start with the fine aquamesh to get the most bio filter effect and see how it goes.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a reef system doesn't need a sump of refugium a sump certainly doesn't need baffles. There's only 2 reasons I use a sump, first is additional surface area for gas exchange and second is additional areas for cryptic sponges. Here's my oldest system and it's sump:

Tank

Sump

Piece of reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How did u go with the aquamesh? Looking at doing the same instead of permanent baffles

Piece of reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of the benefits to baffles is you can keep the micro bubbles away.
Yep but i watched a video from brs saying the aquamesh apparently does a better job, so just wanted to see how scolson went with his as im in the process of sump building

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day, our first sump filtration system did not have baffles. Looking back, it would have been more efficient to use them for sections/departments to help with:

1) Gas exchange
2) Used sock filters - to help catch debris floating in the tank; I know many who do not use them and are just fine.
3) Microbubbles (I used sponges over the return pump).
4) Future refugium (hang-on unit) (worked okay, but something else hanging on the back of the tank).
5) Segregate the protein skimmer chamber and refugium.

But no, you don't need baffles in the sump, just a nice feature.

Hope this helps.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run a baffleless sump for 2 years and before various sumps with baffles . Personally NEVER had issues with Micro bubbles either way, You just need to design sump flow properly as i did.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel at a absolute minimum you need a baffle to separate any pumps from any macro. If you run a fuge and you have a pump in the same area as macro the algae will make it into the pump sooner or later. Skimmers, Reactors, Return Pumps, etc.

Back