Does activated carbon remove glycol (a carbon)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using prazipro (contains glycol, a carbon source) and it’s causing bacterial blooms. Water changes aren’t effective and diatom filters are bandages until the moment there are removed.

Does activated carbon remove liquid carbon? This can help immensely in QT.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using prazipro (contains glycol, a carbon source) and it’s causing bacterial blooms. Water changes aren’t effective and diatom filters are bandages until the moment there are removed.

Does activated carbon remove liquid carbon? This can help immensely in QT.
You are not adding that much glycerol, right? Shouldn’t matter.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m mixing copper power, metroplex, and prazipro in the same QT and the water turns yellow and cloudy. Bacterial bloom.

Even when I only use copper and prazipro I get a bacterial bloom.

Water changes don’t help. Is it the glycerol in the prazipro that causes this? What’s the solution?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not adding glycerol. I do 2 prazipro 6 days apart.

Edit: what does “shouldn’t matter” mean? This bacterial bloom will kill my fish from oxygen deprivation.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m mixing copper power, metroplex, and prazipro in the same QT and the water turns yellow and cloudy. Bacterial bloom.

Even when I only use copper and prazipro I get a bacterial bloom.

Water changes don’t help. Is it the glycerol in the prazipro that causes this? What’s the solution?
The point is that your are not adding large quantities of medicines and not much carbon. For all we know the cloudiness is from all the chemicals you are adding. Since it is a QT, cloudiness doesn’t matter, right? I would keep the water well aerated.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point is that your are not adding large quantities of medicines and not much carbon. For all we know the cloudiness is from all the chemicals you are adding. Since it is a QT, cloudiness doesn’t matter, right? I would keep the water well aerated.
It doesn’t matter from a visual perspective. Just from an oxygen perspective.

I actually believe that it is a bacterial bloom. I run a diatom filter (Humblefish said it won’t absorb any medications). The water clears up when it’s used, but as soon as I remove the filter the water starts to turn yellow and hazy again.

I do have a large powerhead that causes aggressive ripples.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t matter from a visual perspective. Just from an oxygen perspective.

I actually believe that it is a bacterial bloom. I run a diatom filter (Humblefish said it won’t absorb any medications). The water clears up when it’s used, but as soon as I remove the filter the water starts to turn yellow and hazy again.

I do have a large powerhead that causes aggressive ripples.
OK, I understand. The haziness could be a bacteria bloom but the yellow color is not a characteristic of a bloom. Could be the lighting though. I wonder if one of the medications or metabolite is precipitating.

Baiyuncarbon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, activated carbon can remove glycol. But I suggest you to choose coconut activated carbon or nutshell activated carbon. Because coals activated carbon can release heavy metal elements as well when absorbing.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back