Does anybody in Tampa have fenbendazole? Looking to purchase

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scratching convict tang and I suspect prazi resistant flukes. Looking for some fenbendazole enough to treat 10 gallon QT thank you

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scratching convict tang and I suspect prazi resistant flukes. Looking for some fenbendazole enough to treat 10 gallon QT thank you
A common reason for both of these meds failing is an inability to break the life cycle of egg laying flukes. Another option would be hyposalinity at 1.012 SG for 35 days.

Jay

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A common reason for both of these meds failing is an inability to break the life cycle of egg laying flukes. Another option would be hyposalinity at 1.012 SG for 35 days.

Jay
This wouldn't hurt the fish? Is there a process to slowly bring the salinity up and back down?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This wouldn't hurt the fish? Is there a process to slowly bring the salinity up and back down?
There is a risk with any treatment really, but this is well tolerated by most fish (no invertebrates though). The general rule is that you can lower the salinity on marine fish fairly quickly (say over48 hours in this case) but you should raise it back much slower - over perhaps 5 days in this example.

Jay

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
thank you. I should have mentioned that I already did hypo 1.008 for over 30 days already. It might not be flukes, I’m just not sure. I did copper power 2.5ppm for all fish and QT all corals and everything for 2 months. So I doubt it’s ich. And I haven’t seen anything external. I’m trying fenbendazole now and will keep you posted. I feel bad for the poor guy been in and out of QT. But need to fix the issue.

once every minute or two the fish shakes it’s head and makes a dash for the sand and scratches the gill/face area. No other fish are affected. Has been doing it since I got it several months ago even after prolonged QT

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back