Does anyone do it? Seriously, do they?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a world where we ought to be smart enough to require evidence of something, does ANY manufacturer or supplier of reef aquarium additives actually provide evidence that the product does what it claims?

I don't mean simple ingredient claims such as contains (iron, vanadium, magnesium, etc) which is mostly meaningless without numbers (a pinch of dried ocean water meets that claim for any element), or even those with numbers (which themselves have even been wrong in some cases), but rather the more complex claims that really jazz up reefers, but for which no evidence is ever shown.

Here's a few real examples:

for intense coloration of coral
Stimulates and Optimizes Coral Growth
enhance the growth and coloration of corals
help with growth, coloration, and vitality
the end result is stronger, healthier and more colorful corals.
promotes the pink colors in corals
production of the purple/blue pigments in the soft tissue of corals.
may have a positive effect on the color of corals.
maintaining Bromide at appropriate levels is very beneficial for coral coloration and growth

The list goes on and on. It's like an arms race about supplements.

Here's what I imagine happens...

Company X claims purples are boosted by their concoction of elements.
Company Y thinks that if they don't make similar claims, who would buy it? What colors should we claim that no one else does? Hmmm. Soemthing they may have already and can look at and imagine it is getting better. Don't want a lot of returns...

Last edited:

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's another step after that Randy.

Company X and Y both find an influential reefer with a beautiful reef and sponser them to spread the word on forums and instagram, and thousands of consumers suddenly feel like they NEED that product.

Still seems like good lighting, good flow, and some maturity are the main ingredients of the nicest tanks I see on here.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snake Oil. The reefing industry is full of it. I think it has to do with preying on people's unwillingness to be patient, and promise quicker and better results by dumping in a bottle of liquid.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a world where we ought to be smart enough to require evidence of something, does ANY manufacturer or supplier of reef aquarium additives actually provide evidence that the product does what it claims?
I have to challenge that the average ”we” are smart enough to require evidence.

“We” are not sufficiently trained or disciplined enough to be skeptical of advertising claims. ”We” just love to believe. Believing requires so much less energy than questioning. Also, “we” firmly believe in miracles, that their is an easy way out, and that human supplements actually do something.

I will up the ante here. More than 80% of the claims made about any hobby product are BS. The other 20% or less might have an element of truth.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you expecting them to state ‘this will do nothing at best or crash your system at worst but please buy this since our bottle is more colorful and has more adjectives than the competition’?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy.. I had a similar thinking about trace element additives - if corals need trace elements for their flesh, surely an easy way to prove that is to run spectral analysis on a piece of coral flesh (but for some mysterious reasons quote "no-one actually did that")?
And if they don't need it for flesh - but it's deposited through calcification, then we really shouldn't care and it's a pure waste?

And if trace elements are actually consumed - where do they stay (again, only in coral soft tissues or in coral skeletons)?

When I refer to trace elements, I don't mean minor elements (e.g. potassium, chelated iron or chelated iodine) - more like exotic things, uranium, strontium, berilium, boratium etc..

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you just gotta believe!!

1d5f1w (1).jpg

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you said dried ocean-water meat…like actual meat that was dried in ocean water. :grinning-face-with-sweat:

lol

That would too, like ocean jerky. One of my daughters eats various fish jerky things lol

But no, just a typo. lol

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a company offer two bottles of trace elements: one for increasing "greens and blues" and the other for "reds and purples". Made me not trust any of their products at all when they make that crap up.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't mean simple ingredient claims such as contains (iron, vanadium, magnesium, etc) which is mostly meaningless without numbers (a pinch of dried ocean water meets that claim for any element), or even those with numbers (which themselves have even been wrong in some cases), but rather the more complex claims that really jazz up reefers, but for which no evidence is ever shown.

maintaining Bromide at appropriate levels is very beneficial for coral coloration and growth

Company Y thinks that if they don't make similar claims, who would buy it? What colors should we claim that no one else does? Hmmm. Soemthing they may have already and can look at and imagine it is getting better. Don't want a lot of returns...

Maybe a follow up question from a comment or to exchanged a couple of days back. But to your opening statement you are more or less correct. Not that you are seeking justification.

Most hobbies have this issue but some are more cut and dry with regards to a BS filter. What skill saw is best may not be proper but there is no debating the skill saw blade and its finishing cut. Try as we might with say lighting there is so much more going on with the corals health than light we can't say A is better than B. Yes, light is key but what about everything else? Most arm chair generals on here or on social media have no way to state one is better than the other outside of our personal bias. UV is a must - but is it?

99% of us are not trained in marine biology let alone science. Somethings we can summarize or get from some fellows such as yourself but other things we can't. Some we just want to believe in but even then maybe it isn't a right thing to do today (eDNA / Microbiome testing for example).

Social media platform of choice, or search engines have become the go to source of information whereas with the older guard we used books, reef clubs, sometimes a convention, and a sprinkle of USENET.

It is a great question not that you asked. Hope your day is going well.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

No, my pH article helping daughter is a vegetarian.
Hey! How did you know I knew her name from that article? :p

Thanks for the extra information. I’ll store it in my brain collection of Randy-Trivia.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Very good point.
One claims to remove ammonia
another- destroys algae upon application
Instant fish additives for seeding a tank in 10 minutes
Another reduces stress

And the list goes on

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its actually very simply. If you cant prove the product DOESNT do it, they are not liable for false advertising. Are you going to foot the cost to prove it doesnt work?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back