Does anyone else have this problem?

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve just set up my ai hydra 32…. The single arm bracket just looks to weak for the light unit.

has anyone else had a similar problem and if so what did you do?

3B14645C-8EEC-405D-8FBE-3FC36A29A515.jpeg 9C401D1D-67EB-4BE8-A456-6B95AFF31585.jpeg

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hannahmunt it looks like you can't get the bracket down deep enough.

That glass lip looks custom. Is there a reason that you put it there? If you could remove it I think the bracket would work correctly.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glass lip won't allow it.
Ah, now I see. Yeah, that's a dilemma. @HuduVudu had a good suggestion; you could also try notching out the glass for the bracket as well (which would require removal, cutting and reinstalling).

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have room to, tighten the adjustment screws where the two pieces of metal meet at the 90 degree. Hope that helps a bit.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never asked for it, but am assuming it’s there for a reason lol
FWIW your tank looks like it was supposed to be rimless.

It looks like all the glass lip work was added after the fact.

Two things jump out at me, first the black hose on the left in the pic means that the glass on the left has a gap. This means that it is not structural. It's only purpose would be cosmetic. Which is weird because it doesn't look very good. The second thing is that all of the glass lips etc.. are set down what looks to be two inches (50mm). This is unusual and once again not structural. Doing this with what would be a euro brace (the middle glass piece) provides no bracing because the the sides will tend to bow out and slicone isn't very strong with a pull force. It works better with a shear force. In other words if it was a brace it should set on top of the glass.

My only conclusion is that these lips are cosmetic.

But If I am wrong I am just a guy on the interwebz. :p

Jkellar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Two things jump out at me, first the black hose on the left in the pic means that the glass on the left has a gap. This means that it is not structural. It's only purpose would be cosmetic. Which is weird because it doesn't look very good. The second thing is that all of the glass lips etc.. are set down what looks to be two inches (50mm). This is unusual and once again not structural. Doing this with what would be a euro brace (the middle glass piece) provides no bracing because the the sides will tend to bow out and slicone isn't very strong with a pull force. It works better with a shear force. In other words if it was a brace it should set on top of the glass.

Is that lip all the way around? Maybe for a lid to sit on?

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got this tank built yearsss ago, so can’t remember the reasons.

above the tank is a cupboard so could I possible hang the light?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this tank built yearsss ago, so can’t remember the reasons.
above the tank is a cupboard so could I possible hang the light?
I think your best options are removal of that (seemingly cosmetic) glass lip on the back so you can properly mount it -or- get the HMS kit to hang it from the overhang above. I'm not saying it couldn't work in the current configuration, but I'd be leery about it suddenly falling into the tank.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The style of the glass lip is called "eurobracing". No arm mount works with it well. I have no idea how to make it work either.

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your best options are removal of that (seemingly cosmetic) glass lip on the back so you can properly mount it -or- get the HMS kit to hang it from the overhang above. I'm not saying it couldn't work in the current configuration, but I'd be leery about it suddenly falling into the tank.
I can’t remove the glass lip unfortunately, I’ve tried looking for a hanging kit but can only find one for the 26 and 52 models

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t remove the glass lip unfortunately, I’ve tried looking for a hanging kit but can only find one for the 26 and 52 models
Well, another option could be to mount a bracket to the wall that holds the light bracket in-place. You could probably even use one of those flexible silicone or rubber ones and just screw it to the wall (metal will most likely rust).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The way the bracket sits is similar to how my Hydra 26 lights looked. As long as bracket does not rock- should be stable. Do elevate the light fixture a little higher from water.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back