Does anyone else have this problem?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The other day it made a cracking noise as if it was moving…that’s why I’m worried haha
You may hear the plastic screws against the plastic itself. You can place a piece of rubber to cushion and stabilize the bracket

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The style of the glass lip is called "eurobracing". No arm mount works with it well. I have no idea how to make it work either.
Eurobracing would sit on the top to stop the sides to keep them from stretching out. The middle piece of glass is sitting below the top, this isn't structural.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Eurobracing would sit on the top to stop the sides to keep them from stretching out. The middle piece of glass is sitting below the top, this isn't structural.
My tank is exactly done the same way. 112g
Is not cosmetic in my situation. They do this for "rimless" tanks.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is exactly done the same way. 112g
Is not cosmetic in my situation. They do this for "rimless" tanks.
The glass for the center brace is below the rim?

FYI the center brace is the only part of the Euro brace the lip is cosmetic.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also,

They call it euro bracing as well.
Ok, they have stretched the definition. I have too chuckle because if you see an acrylic aqaurium that uses too thin of acrylic you will know exactly why the center is where the brace should go.

Please note from your site where the glass rims are sitting. These are semi-structural in that they stretch the lenght of the sheet and they sit on the top. That they don't brace the part that will bend that is a seperate thread. :p

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The glass for the center brace is below the rim?

FYI the center brace is the only part of the Euro brace the lip is cosmetic
I will not say the posters glass rim is cosmetic. It is there as mine is.. To prevent bowing.

I wouldnt even advise them to remove the glass rim unless you want to replace the tank, should something go wrong.

Make a new thread if you want to continue.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will not say the posters glass rim is cosmetic. It is there as mine is.. To prevent bowing.

I wouldnt even advise them to remove the glass rim unless you want to replace the tank, should something go wrong.

Make a new thread if you want to continue.
I think that this discussion is relevant to the OPs orginal problem.

Please read my post to the OP about what I would do.

Where the glass is placed is not structural and will not stop bowing. The glass needs to sit on top of the rim just like in the site that you posted. As I stated to the original poster the silcone is in a very weak configuration that relies on pull not shear for adherence. This is once again not structural.

Are you having a bad day? It is unlike you to not give people the benefit of the doubt.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where the glass is placed is not structural and will not stop bowing. The glass needs to sit on top of the rim just like in the site that you posted. As I stated to the original poster the silcone is in a very weak configuration that relies on pull not shear for adherence. This is once again not structural.

Are you having a bad day? It is unlike you to not give people the benefit of the doubt.
It is not true that those glass pieces are not providing structural support. They do not have to be on top and they do not have to extend all the way to the corners to be effective and prevent bowing. They basically just create strength like a piece of angled steel versus flat bar. Imagine trying to bend a 2" thick piece of glass in the 2" wide plane. I would not advise removing them.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DCR you need to understand the difference between sheer force and pull force.

You may also notice that manufacturers don't position their supports below the rim. They sit them on top of the rim. There is are mechanical reason for this.

As to removing them I will once again state "please read my post to the OP". Your opinion and my opinion are the descretion of the OP. What he/she chooses to do is on him/her and he/she needs to carefully consider those opinions.

I try to provide the countervaling aurgement so that people can see all of the possible options. People on boards tend to provide the "safe" advice, because they may not know of any other way or they don't want to be held responsible even tangentially for their advice. Sadly this creates a hive mind with little room for possiblity.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you didn't find a hanging kit yet this one from AI supposedly works for all models of Hydra including the 32 but you could contact them to confirm.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make a little Perspex shim, and put that in the screw side of the bracket. It’s the amount of contact area that probably the problem.

Edit - a shim on top of the slot may help also to take the weight.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back