does anyone else ship frags this way??

Rydogg420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, So I was just wondering if anyone who ships frags uses this method to help keep the frags safe while shipping.

The trick is, you take a small cube (about 1.5") of packing foam and cut a small hole in it the size of a frag plug. The you take a frag plug with the coral on it and glue the frag plug into the hole on the foam cube. Once you do this, you put the cube into the bag you are shipping it in and the foam cube will float and the weight of the frag plug will flip the cube over and suspend the coral upside down in the bag.. This is great for zoas and other coral that would get hurt by the frag plug rolling around while in the bag..

I hope this helps someone when they ship frags next time and I hope I explained it well enough for anyone to understand and try.. This will save you from having DOA from the frag plug crushing the corals while shiping.. Also when I use this method to ship the zoas will be open in the bag when the person gets the shipment and makes them very happy knowing the zoas will most likely live since they are already open in the shipping bag.

Let me know if anyone wants to know more, or if anyone uses this method to ship already...

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I used to ship this way a long time ago, before frag plugs were popular. We would rubberband frag rocks to styro. Main issue I had was the occasional frag falling off The rock but otherwise worked well. Mostly shipped softies this way.

I like the newer method of using condiment cups as shielding around the frag, thnk might be lil cleaner/easier and require bit less water.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This method would require the shipper to leave some air inside the bag, but that will create some kind of slushing inside the bag when the box is moving or dropped or being tossed, etc. Most ship with the bag full of water and use some form of containment cup. much better IMO.

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't need any air.... I've had some coral shipped to me this way and loved it. :)

Sent from tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Rydogg420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ +1.. No need to leave air in the bag. the cube of foam does not take much to "sink" when you close the bag and get the air out...

I have never had anyone ship coral in the condiment cups before.. Do they glue the frag plug down on the bottom of the cup??

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ +1.. No need to leave air in the bag. the cube of foam does not take much to "sink" when you close the bag and get the air out...

I have never had anyone ship coral in the condiment cups before.. Do they glue the frag plug down on the bottom of the cup??

They cut a cross at the bottom of the cup and stick the stem of the plug through that. I've had coral fall off of plugs this way too tho, but works well (I don't like the use of additional plastics tho)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back