Does anyone else think this doesn't look so good?

BAM N Tanked

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 12, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from cosmetics, this picture gives me the creeps - structurally. All I see is a future leak, and like most I cringe at the thought of one day discovering 57g of water pooling in my 3rd floor apartment. How much bubbling is safe, I'm especially concerned with the white showing in the black silicone on the outside portion of the seam. Yet the manufacturer doesn't seem alarmed at all, maybe I'm paranoid? Are they trying to shut me up or is this as obvious as I think it is?

This is the front left corner of my 36"18"20 rimless. I can't recall the glass thickness exactly, it's a touch under 1/2" though.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 280
I had a tank like that with the bubbles in the seams. It held up for well over a year but I took it down and went with a different tank. I never felt comfortable with it.
 
It's less the bubbles I'm worried for than the actual white streak in the seam of the black silicone seam. It was hard to get a picture with the flash and the bad lighting, but here's a more straight on view. It looks as though it's some sort of gap or stretch. The gray line you were referring to was I think just the lighting catching the slight bevel of the corner.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 178
Gah, sorry for the double post, that was the wrong picture. I only took about a dozen.. hah.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 186
If you think the manufacturer would replace it for your own peace of mind, then by all means do it. The tank is like the cheapest part of this hobby.
 
Dude...not cool. And it's not just the water on the floor. If it springs a leak at the wrong time, you could lose everything in the tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new