Does anyone else use salt water mollies?

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the photo that I took today of 3 of my 4 mollies (2 orange lyretail and 2 white).

mollies.jpg

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used mollies as live feeders to entice my lion to eat when he goes on strike. I could see the appeal of keeping them as permanent residents, but that would never work in my tank.

lebreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a colony of Mollies going in the QT tanks and they have bred as well. They act as dither fish and also help with uneaten foods. Very useful in that perspective.

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@The guppy guru he's pretty good with brackish acclimation to full salt been reading his thread could help with questions. I think he says acclimate over days not hours but not 100% sure
Sir yes sir when it comes to mollies it is an acclimation period of just a few hours. Guppies in the other hand take weeks to acclimate into saltwater. Thanks for taking a look into the world of brackish water hope you all have a good day, happy Reefing.

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At my LFS there are some in the frag tank occasionally, do they still shoal in saltwater?
Yeah mollies don’t shoal in salt or fresh water. Mollies are like clown fish they are community fish except with mollies they all get to breed. But there will always be a dominant male and female. Guppies are near shoaling fish, but they aren’t considered schooling fish they are classified as social swimmers. Meaning they have evolved to stick together for danger, but be all over the place When they are calm. Guppies have individual personalities it’s just that you don’t get to see there personalities, because in a reef tank there will always be an aggressor that will bully them and not leave them alone.

Nan3182

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are currently using several to cycle our tanks. But will probably keep some in the main display because they are fishy garbage disposals! They eat EVERYTHING! Also found out the hard way they are jumpers. Lost a beautiful orange lyretail male when he jumped out of the tank. We saved several of his babies, raising them in the sump. Video isn’t the best quality but he was pretty handsome.

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you say the steps are to acclimating them?
The steps to acclimate a guppy are pretty simple long acclimation and short acclimation. I have always had success with short acclimation but If I want to be care full then go long acclimation, I cannot explain long acclimation unfortunately. Short acclimation should take about 35 days, each day you want to raise the salinity by about 1 ppm. Once they have reached full saltwater you then want to drip acclimate the for about an hour just to make sure. Alright then good day and happy reefing, and make sure to check out my thread, want to know a little brackish secrete?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The steps to acclimate a guppy are pretty simple long acclimation and short acclimation. I have always had success with short acclimation but If I want to be care full then go long acclimation, I cannot explain long acclimation unfortunately. Short acclimation should take about 35 days, each day you want to raise the salinity by about 1 ppm. Once they have reached full saltwater you then want to drip acclimate the for about an hour just to make sure. Alright then good day and happy reefing, and make sure to check out my thread, want to know a little brackish secrete?
Okay thank you, can I have a link to the thread? And I’d love to know a secret

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had three black mollies in my tank for about 8 months, and I think they're usefulness is understated in the hobby. I keep pretty tight control on my nutrients, but my tank has virtually no algae in it as of today. They pick up the extra food, and pick at the algae, and have reproduced about 6 times. I was going to remove them, but I'm worried I might have to start battling algae, so they're staying for the time being. +1 on the canary in the coal mine idea as well.

To acclimate, I drip acclimated them over 24 hours in a 5 gal bucket with a heater. Very simple.

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had three black mollies in my tank for about 8 months, and I think they're usefulness is understated in the hobby. I keep pretty tight control on my nutrients, but my tank has virtually no algae in it as of today. They pick up the extra food, and pick at the algae, and have reproduced about 6 times. I was going to remove them, but I'm worried I might have to start battling algae, so they're staying for the time being. +1 on the canary in the coal mine idea as well.

To acclimate, I drip acclimated them over 24 hours in a 5 gal bucket with a heater. Very simple.
Yes if you remove them you will wage war on algae for a very long time trust me. I got rid of my silver molly from my reef and I only realized how vital of a clean up crew member she was until she was gone. I have been battling algae and it’s been very difficult I lost a frag of gsp to GHA in my tank.

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if you remove them you will wage war on algae for a very long time trust me. I got rid of my silver molly from my reef and I only realized how vital of a clean up crew member she was until she was gone. I have been battling algae and it’s been very difficult I lost a frag of gsp to GHA in my tank.
Why don't you add more mollies to your tank to battle the algea problem?

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you add more mollies to your tank to battle the algea problem?
Well one reason is due to the current problem with the virus. But the reason I got rid of my previous molly is because I have a very aggressive clown fish in that tank. He wouldn’t let her come out to eat and I removed her, acclimated her back to freshwater and the she died there because of livebearers disease.

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought about my clowns and mollies not getting along. I haven't stocked yet but I was planning on adding a couple mollies and clowns in the beginning of my tank

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back