Does anyone else use salt water mollies?

Kurtis1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far they seem super adaptable - they can breed easily, eat algae, pick up food off the sand and are an amazing clean up crew, and are actually quite friendly and trainable. They actually let you pet them!

I haven't seen anyone else using them and I’m actually wondering why?

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far they seem super adaptable - they can breed easily, eat algae, pick up food off the sand and are an amazing clean up crew, and are actually quite friendly and trainable. They actually let you pet them!

I haven't seen anyone else using them and I’m actually wondering why?
others use them as ditter fish in an observation tank to encourage a shy fish to swim in the open as they are open swimmers and wont really react to predators.
the guy from reef builders used them in his quarantine tank.

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 4 fresh water mollies (2 orange lyretail and 2 whites) to cycle my tank. I thought that I would take them to my LFS after the cycle. However, they are so cute and they keep my rocks and sand clean so I changed my mind and kept them. After 3 months, all 4 are still alive and healthy. They are able to tolerate good flow in the tank since my tank is mixed but sps dominant. I bought them at Petco as fresh water fish.

People always comment on them when they see them in my DT with 16 other bigger salt water fish. I have a 120 gallon tank.

OP
OP
Kurtis1

Kurtis1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of us use them as pathogen canaries.
Woah that's so cool, yeah I read a little more about them and they can pick up anything that's bad in your tank so you can see what you have to fix. I also think they're kinda sturdy for a fish lol

OP
OP
Kurtis1

Kurtis1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never tried to keep them in my 90 gallon and honestly forgot about them. I try to get some and try it out.
Woah that's a super cool tank you got there, you even have a clam! How's that going for you?

OP
OP
Kurtis1

Kurtis1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 4 fresh water mollies (2 orange lyretail and 2 whites) to cycle my tank. I thought that I would take them to my LFS after the cycle. However, they are so cute and they keep my rocks and sand clean so I changed my mind and kept them. After 3 months, all 4 are still alive and healthy. They are able to tolerate good flow in the tank since my tank is mixed but sps dominant. I bought them at Petco as fresh water fish.

People always comment on them when they see them in my DT with 16 other bigger salt water fish. I have a 120 gallon tank.
Yeah mollies are so cute and cool, they chomp on anything you give them and are kinda sturdy for supposedly being a pathogen canaries. What do you use to feed your guys?

OP
OP
Kurtis1

Kurtis1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried mollies in my giant hermit crab tank 3 times and they always seem to dissappear.........
Dang I wonder where they could have gone, for your hermit crab, have you tried adding anything in besides mollies? Or are they super aggressive and you can't really have much with the guy?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will eat anything he can catch. The only fish that are smart enough to stay away are damsels and their luck may run out some day

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 2 orange lyretail and 2 white mollies when I did my cycling a brand new tank on December 17, 2019 and all 4 are still alive today.

I got them as fresh water mollies at Petsmart and acclimated them for about 1 hour to salt water.

In fact, 1 of the 4 was a female and I saw a few babies mollies in my sump for a few weeks but somehow they have all disappeared, perhaps the babies got sucked up to the tank and got eaten or killed by the return pump.

My 4 mollies are getting along with 11 other fish in my tank that are mostly larger than them. Plus, they are able to withstand the current created by two MP 40 in my 120 gallon mixed but SPS dominate reef tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kurtis1

Kurtis1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine always die within a week of being in saltwater
Dang yeah although they are brackish fish, they seem to be susceptible to salt water and only mollies with strong genes will live through and after the acclimation process. I have tried to acclimate the fish in a 24 hour acclimation process and yet most of them do die during and after the process. My cousin who I acclimated them for only has a handful left after but they seem happy where they are so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
OP
Kurtis1

Kurtis1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 2 orange lyretail and 2 white mollies when I did my cycling a brand new tank on December 17, 2019 and all 4 are still alive today.

I got them as fresh water mollies at Petsmart and acclimated them for about 1 hour to salt water.

In fact, 1 of the 4 was a female and I saw a few babies mollies in my sump for a few weeks but somehow they have all disappeared, perhaps the babies got sucked up to the tank and got eaten or killed by the return pump.

My 4 mollies are getting along with 11 other fish in my tank that are mostly larger than them. Plus, they are able to withstand the current created by two MP 40 in my 120 gallon mixed but SPS dominate reef tank.
Dang that's awesome bro! Orange lyretail's don't seem to do well in my cousins tank but for the white and black mollies they do well. They even breed quite frequently so we end up seeing a ton in the sump and they just grow there until they grow big enough for the main tank.

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang yeah although they are brackish fish, they seem to be susceptible to salt water and only mollies with strong genes will live through and after the acclimation process. I have tried to acclimate the fish in a 24 hour acclimation process and yet most of them do die during and after the process. My cousin who I acclimated them for only has a handful left after but they seem happy where they are so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i have a spare tank i might set up just to see how many mollies i can get to actually live in salt and then move some over to the main tank and either sell the others for cheap money or just give them away

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have one.
PB040002.JPG

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back