OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know of a couple of good spots to collect from I know that the guy I know collects off of Casey key in Florida

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be surprised that people use fake water for their reef tank. All our fish come from NSW and none, unless they were captive bred came from ASW,

I have been taking it from the surf for 53 years. No problems yet. I just back up to the ocean and dump it in my Jeep. I don't do anything to it except filter out the floating gunk.

I am on Long Island NY so if it is green or muddy, I diatom filter it.

Yeah Paul, you’re the go to guy for NSW!
Debra, was looking to see if you posted lol

rusty88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so I was wondering if anyone took water straight from the ocean and used it unfiltered in their aquarium and if so what effects did it have on the aquarium I have seen results from a guy that I know that does that on his reef tank with everything looking great and was wondering if anyone else did this? And yes I have been to his house to see his tank in person and it looks amazing. That shocked me when he told me he did this and I would have never guessed that an aquarium can look that amazing of natural salt water dumped straight into an aquarium like that. He also have acros and other sps corals that look amazing and their growth is crazy they all have a lot of white around the edges in which the skeleton is calcifying he said that they have been growing like weeds since he started doing this. So I wanted to see if anyone else did that and how successful it was. All of his softies and lps look great as well and fish are looking like they came from the reef as well their colors are so bright and vibrant so it has me curious. And he does have tangs as well that look totally heathy and not a single tang flashing in all the time I was there.
I have only ever used natural seawater,I am a commercial fisherman so collecting seawater is not a problem,15-20miles from any land the seawater is always crystal clear ,deep indigo blue.My first reef tank housed a good sized Gonni ,i still remember tipping two 5gal containers of seawater in the tank ,the Gonni would double its size and reach out for the nutrients.Softies were insane in size also.This was 15yrs back.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live buy the ocean but was always worried id bring in pest by using natural seawater. This summer maybe Ill try it when I can get off shore and collect it.
Collect it and put it in a Brute trash can with an HOB skimmer for 24 hours. Raise the alkalinity and calcium, pH will raise on its own just from the aeration. You can even drop a pump in and run a UV on a loop.

The water I use has been collected from over 50' down about a half mile off shore. It's been run through a huge sand filter and that's it. Depending on the time of year I clean it as I described above and then try to match tank parameters.

Everyone's happy in my reef.

BTAP.jpg

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise the alkalinity and calcium, pH will raise on its own just from the aeration.

That's interesting. Since I collect mine from the surface, the waves have already kept it well aerated. From 50' down it's not well aerated I guess.

Depending on the time of year I clean it as I described above and then try to match tank parameters.
By doing frequent smaller water changes, I don't usually worry about matching anything but temperature. Maybe I should, dunno, but have not had problems.

pacificnewt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Monterey, CA and have used the natural sea water in a few of my tanks intermittently over the last few years. I’ve taken it from wide, open sandy beaches and also rocky coves. The water from the surf at the beaches tends to be super murky and have a lot of sand/silt suspended in the water column as well as sand crabs, kelp, and other marine debris (including, unfortunately, plastic). The water I harvest from the rocky tide pool areas on the Monterey Peninsula is consistently clearer but has more run off present due to the high density of residential neighborhoods lining the shore. I usually get it from the sandy beaches and just run it through a fine mesh to get most of the debris out. I have never noticed any adverse health impacts in my tanks but also I’ve never seen an explosion in growth as some other users. I would guess since I’m collecting water from super cold temperate ocean waters, most of the micro flora & fauna die off as soon as I bring the water temp up from 52 to 79. The only marine life that survives more than a day or two in my tank are the tigger pods that naturally live in the local tide pools. My rainsford goby loves them!

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting. Since I collect mine from the surface, the waves have already kept it well aerated. From 50' down it's not well aerated I guess.
No it's not from the depth it's been collected at. The research facility stores it in an underground tank with no light. I bring it home in 5 gallon containers and keep it still and dark for a couple more days. That kills/limits any microscopic flora and fauna that made it through the sand filter. pH drops to 7.4 and alkalinity is 7.4 - 7.8.

When it's aerated It comes up to a pH of 8.1 and I dose to raise alk and calcium.
I have never noticed any adverse health impacts in my tanks but also I’ve never seen an explosion in growth as some other users.
When I did a 50% water change on a friends reef tank, he was running IO Reef Crystals, it was pretty dynamic. LPS swelled up, fish's colors got brighter, LPS put their polyps out more. That was last year and he switched to NSW only. Everything is growing great. Faster ? Not sure, it's not my tank so I don't know what growth rates were before.

Brucemull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so I was wondering if anyone took water straight from the ocean and used it unfiltered in their aquarium and if so what effects did it have on the aquarium I have seen results from a guy that I know that does that on his reef tank with everything looking great and was wondering if anyone else did this? And yes I have been to his house to see his tank in person and it looks amazing. That shocked me when he told me he did this and I would have never guessed that an aquarium can look that amazing of natural salt water dumped straight into an aquarium like that. He also have acros and other sps corals that look amazing and their growth is crazy they all have a lot of white around the edges in which the skeleton is calcifying he said that they have been growing like weeds since he started doing this. So I wanted to see if anyone else did that and how successful it was. All of his softies and lps look great as well and fish are looking like they came from the reef as well their colors are so bright and vibrant so it has me curious. And he does have tangs as well that look totally heathy and not a single tang flashing in all the time I was there.
Yes! I use a filter sock when getting it. Have been using it last 4 years with next to no issues. I get it at a university of Florida location an test it before adding to my tanks. They get it from a pipe located way out ,far from any beach contamination ( suntan lotions etc). I have " 0" issues an a great looking mixed lps an sps with fish tank(s). Lucky or otherwise it's works in my case.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I use a filter sock when getting it. Have been using it last 4 years with next to no issues. I get it at a university of Florida location an test it before adding to my tanks. They get it from a pipe located way out ,far from any beach contamination ( suntan lotions etc). I have " 0" issues an a great looking mixed lps an sps with fish tank(s). Lucky or otherwise it's works in my case.
The University is getting it far enough off shore and deep enough that it's not going to have any surface contaminants. Wave action brings everything lighter than water into concentration at the shore and eventually on to shore. Suntan lotion is the least of your worries. Oil, cleaning solvents, anything and everything a bilge pump dumps into the sea arrive at the shore but aren't present in any significant amount below the first thermocline.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not entirely sure that all seawater is equal. Some areas may be higher or lower in certain elements. However, the plankton is probably a nice edition.
This and salinity may be off. I want to use natural sea water but its always 1.023 when i tested it. May try a different area next time.

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This and salinity may be off. I want to use natural sea water but its always 1.023 when i tested it. May try a different area next time.
According to Wikipedia, at the mean salinity of seawater around the world - "At a temperature of 25 °C, the salinity of 35 g/kg and 1 atm pressure, the density of seawater is 1023.6 kg/m3"

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very lucky to live a right on a tidal estuary, yes it can be silty at times like today when the winds churned it up but my corals absolutely love nsw and if anything the biggest issue I have with my tank is low nutrients I think because of all the natural denitrifying bacteria in the mud. It’s my free miracle mud. lol

I’ve used it for 10 years now and just throw a pump over the sea wall and pump it directly into my tank.

This tanks been running a little over a year now and 99% just from small frags.

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
???? No video that I can see.
Sorry, don’t know why but it just would not load. I’ve stuck it on YouTube so I can add a link…. I’m ok with reef tanks not so great with technology. Lol

Last edited:

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very lucky to live a right on a tidal estuary, yes it can be silty at times like today when the winds churned it up but my corals absolutely love nsw

This seems to be a consistent thing, yes they do seem to like the natural stuff. I am sure the chemistry of artificial salt is correct, so it must be the little extra things, like the plankton and yes, nutrients.

I’ve used it for 10 years now and just throw a pump over the sea wall and pump it directly into my tank.

If I ever get a really big tank, or get too old to lift buckets of seawater, I plan to get a pump and pump it into and out of a big plastic tank that I will put in the back of my ute (pickup truck).

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can but you need some common sense.

• Make sure you can collect water at the location you chose. Marine parks and/or reserves may be prohibited
  • Check water conditions is they are available. Mammels like sea lions can cause some issues depending on their location, breeding, etc. This is no different than diving or swimming on the beach.
  • Do not pull water near storm drains
  • Do not pull water from a golf course or agriculture area due to pesticides
  • Doesn't hurt to filter, store, then use

A lot depends on the location and quality. Doesn't matter what Bob above does at the end of the day it is your display and you are responsible. So at least know what could happen then what your risk level is and do what you feel is best. No reason not to use it just know how to use it.

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine parks and/or reserves may be prohibited

That's interesting. Not something Australia does as far as I know, but we can't take coral, not even dead on a beach, and there are some areas where we cannot take molluscs. I have to think about why they would ban the taking of water. Maybe they don't want the extra traffic and disturbance of some very sensitive areas?

• Do not pull water near storm drains
  • Do not pull water from a golf course or agriculture area due to pesticides

Of course. I noted happily, the other day, about some covenants for housing and residents of golf course estates, which specified what chemicals they were allowed to use. Of course the golf club is protecting their own greens, waterways, and fairways, but it all helps in the eventual runoff.

This is no different than diving or swimming on the beach.

good point, if I wouldn't swim in it, it isn't going in my tank :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back