Does anyone have or use sea lettuce?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried several times to grow Uva, and was never successful.
I do not know why. I have finally been able to grow other macro algae, but still no Uva, and no Chaeto. These two just die after a few weeks.
What was your methodology? Sea Lettuce tends to naturally like high nutrient and calmer intercostal waters or tide pools. So you just have to mimic that.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew it for a while thinking would be a win win but the tangs would not eat it. I just threw it away after attempting to make a salad out of it. It does grow fast though. This pic is old.
Sea Lettuce.jpg

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew it for a while thinking would be a win win but the tangs would not eat it. I just threw it away after attempting to make a salad out of it. It does grow fast though. This pic is old.
Sea Lettuce.jpg
It is supposed to make a tasty salad...
Tuna TarTar anyone?

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sea Lettuce.jpg
Did you like it lol?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could find it I would swap out the cheato that just goes in the trash and grow something that someone might benefit from

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps for growing it: high phosphates and lighting seem to be the biggest thing. I got a little in my display and it's invasive - growing on rocks, snail shells, and displacing all the hair algae in my turf algae scrubber.

My parameters are mostly normal, and nitrates are modest (and it grew fine before I started dosing chaetogro to bring up some parameters), but my phosphate has always been high (1ppm or more, often), so that may be the key.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this sea lettuce grown and harvested from our systems safe for our consumption ?
I mean if you don’t add chemicals to your tank and it’s in a refugium. Most likely yes/I don’t see why not. Just give it a good rinse. And I mean most of it comes from the dirty ocean anyway. I probably wouldn’t eat a ton of it but if you wanted to try a little it probably wouldn’t kill you.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P
I mean if you don’t add chemicals to your tank and it’s in a refugium. Most likely yes/I don’t see why not. Just give it a good rinse. And I mean most of it comes from the dirty ocean anyway. I probably wouldn’t eat a ton of it but if you wanted to try a little it probably wouldn’t kill you.
Probably …
Sounds very promising .
Almost makes me want try growing some
Now

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There definitely are. I’d ask around imperial/specialized markets and any sushi/seafood restaurants near you.
A simple
Google search , apparently dry organic “
Dulse “
Is easy to find but to find roots to grow is what I would initially be interested in finding .

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A simple
Google search , apparently dry organic “
Dulse “
Is easy to find but to find roots to grow is what I would initially be interested in finding .
Yes. I found that too a lot more are dried or only sold to businesses and restaurants. Or shipping is $65 ugh.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back