Does anyone know how I remove some of these mushrooms to sell them?

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried lifting the edges of one looking for a foot and it looks like the entire underside is a foot. Is there a way to remove some of these without taking the large rock out of the tank? I think they're Yuma Ricordea.

IMG_0412.JPG

OP
OP
G

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cut through the foot? That won't hurt them?

The one I pulled up a bit still looks very unhappy.

It's funny I played with one and they are all shriveled up a bit right now. I don't think they're connected?

kendavjac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Razor blade. Cut as close as you can. Put a Tupperware or plastic cup (old sour cream container) in a low flow area are of your tank with some rock rubble and the cut mushrooms. You may need a mesh lid if flow is to high. In a couple of days/week the mushrooms will attach to the rock rubble. Remove from the cup and sell.

kendavjac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends....in my tank $00....I spent a while trying to kill then off when they got out of control. Seriously I have no idea. Go to your local store and see how much credit they will give you. My store gives about 50% on the dollar. Or look at the for sale ads here on R2R

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most mushrooms are very forgiving. They may be easier to try and cut in the morning before they are fully expanded.

Worth is a hard thing to put a number on, but I'd expect to pay $30-$40 per mushroom "retail".

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally agitate them to where they shrivel and take a screwdriver, or similar tool, to chip off a small section of the rock under the base of the polyp. I generally do the same with zoa/palys too. You can glue the rock chip to frag plugs or rubble rock which tends to be easier/ faster than waiting for the cut shroom to attach by itself.

OP
OP
G

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally agitate them to where they shrivel and take a screwdriver, or similar tool, to chip off a small section of the rock under the base of the polyp. I generally do the same with zoa/palys too. You can glue the rock chip to frag plugs or rubble rock which tends to be easier/ faster than waiting for the cut shroom to attach by itself.

I think this would be easier to do if the rock is out of the tank. I have about 4 other rocks I'd need to remove to get to this one, so don't want to go there.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this would be easier to do if the rock is out of the tank. I have about 4 other rocks I'd need to remove to get to this one, so don't want to go there.

Most of the live rock is fairly porous and you should be able to pop a little piece off pretty easy. An ice pick like point may be better dependent on the rock type and brace the rock with the other hand. Fiji base rock would probably be much harder than something like Pukani to do this with for sure homwever I’ve never had much luck with chopping shrooms, normally I end up with 2 dead pieces! Dependant again on the rocks outer layer, wiring diagonal cutters or “dikes” a pretty good at cutting into live rock also, kind of look like a big set of bone cutters.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends....in my tank $00....I spent a while trying to kill then off when they got out of control. Seriously I have no idea. Go to your local store and see how much credit they will give you. My store gives about 50% on the dollar. Or look at the for sale ads here on R2R
dang my LFS gave me $6 credit each for frogspawn branches . I returned a week later to see my old frags for sale $50 each
Smh

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But shrooms are difficult to remove unharmed but if you leave a peace then you’ll have more

Globalbutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a Tupperware or plastic cup (old sour cream container) in a low flow area are of your tank with some rock rubble and the cut mushrooms. You may need a mesh lid if flow is to high.
I have found the little clear plastic clam shell containers that raspberries or blackberries come in work great. They latch shut and already have holes to allow some flow. Especially like the ones from ALDI - smaller and the label comes off easily.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back