does anyone on Long Island NY use tap water and salt in their reef

jnbrex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think Long Island water is pure enough to be a good substitute for RODI water. Plus, it will have chlorine which is toxic to all marine life.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends where you live on long island....When I lived in freeport - I used a kold steril by poly bio -NO ro/di.. you didnt need much ..the water is very soft and pure right out of the tap..other places like farmingdale (a fellow reefer friend of mine lived there) were bad..he had tons of hair algae and his tank looked like a swamp until he started using ro/di and an algae scrubber on his tank...Get your towns municipal water supply report and go from there...

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in and Suffolk my TDS meter reads around 45ppm Into my RODI.

I use the RODI never tried not using it so not sure. Filters get dirty so so it’s certainly doing something!!

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put too much money into my SPS tank. RO/DI unit is a small investment for peace of mind.
( Suffolk county Long Island )

jstabile316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long Island water sucks, it has low tds but I’ve noticed it’s high in iron and silicates. NYC water is much better but I would still use a rodi filter or atleast distilled water.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely not!…..my TDS is about 65, but it’s all the chemicals, metals that are in it…if you want to know for sure, mix up a patch and send it out for testing. You can also request a water analysis from your district, but that’s at the source not from your faucet which will be worse picking up everything in the pipes especially if there are copper pipes in your home.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember NYC Water and the Steam Humidifier Cannisters, in Computer Rooms. They wouldn’t work, because the water wouldn’t conduct. We would put the Fast Food Salt packets in them till they produced, and keep our fingers crossed.

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my filters and resin got dirty I wasn’t paying attention and my TDS went to 2 and I started getting little sponges everywhere that from reading were from higher silicates.
Long Island water sucks, it has low tds but I’ve noticed it’s high in iron and silicates. NYC water is much better but I would still use a rodi filter or atleast distilled water.

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a hard time understanding TDS… can someone please take a look at this and let me know what the TDS is for my town? Or am I missing something.

I’ve only used tap water and never had any issues in my tank. That being said I have no idea what the TDS of my tap water is…

Don't bother looking at TDS to gauge anything about the usability of tap water. It is totally useless for that purpose. If they sent 0 ppm TDS RO/DI water to you, it would definitely be not OK to use by the time it got to you, dissolving copper pipes along the way.

I just looked up woonsocket in the other thread (page 4 of the link you show) and posted that 10% of homes have copper over 72 ppb. Not usable.

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks all, was asking for my nephew...he is new and broke, ill send him a ro/di.
As a NYer myself, I wouldn’t use tap water. Your nephew does not need to get a RODI unit. There are plenty of salt water aquarium stores that sell RODI water to hobbyists for Pennie’s a gallon. Although not as convenient as making it at home, it’s a cheaper alternative to buying a unit especially if large amounts are not needed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back