Does anyone think having A LOT of fish aids in having a successful SPS dominant/only reef? Weigh in...

Does having a lot of fish and feeding heavily aid in helping YOU keep SPS?

• My SPS are healthy & colorful, I have a lot of fish & feed a lot too (if so, how many & how often?)

Votes: 53 50.0%
  • I have a lot of fish and feed once a day or less, and my SPS are healthy and colorful

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I don't have that many fish but feed a lot and my SPS are healthy and colorful

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • I DO NOT have alot of fish and do not feed alot and I'm struggling

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I have to DOSE (AA, NO3, PO4, etc) to maintain color and health, because little to no fish

Votes: 11 10.4%

• Total voters

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, to play off of @ycnibrc 's bacteria thread, I've seen the most successful, thriving reef tanks having a few common factors between them. Successful to me means great coloration and growth, not just one or the other.
1) The obvious common factor is super clean source water: filters changed regularly and ahead of schedule, making sure nothing gets into the tank but pure H2O (salt mix doesn't matter as I've seen regular IO to IORC to RSCP to TMP).
2) The second common factor is regular husbandry, whether it be every 2 to 4 weeks, there is some form of WCs put in place, but I've seen the other end of the spectrum where some don't do regular maintenance at all, often times waiting months between WCs, but there's either dosing in place or a CaRx implemented.
3) They all have a lot of light, whether it be MH, T5, LEDs, combo of, they don't skimp here; there's plenty to cover front to back, side to side.
4) Lastly, the most colorful, healthy reefs I've seen local to me, and some buddies across the nation, all have this one last common thing going on: they all have a lot of fish that are fed regularly throughout the day. I'm in that camp. I have 9 tangs, 22 anthias, 2 clowns, 1 angel, 1 leopard wrasse, and 1 stupid sand goby that get fed 'round the clock. I'm gonna assume most of us have conditions 1-3 in common and covered.

My feeding schedule:
AM: they get fed a lot of flakes 3 times within an hour before I go to work
Brunch: NLS pellets on auto feeder 3 times: 11AM, 130PM, 430PM
Happy Hour: Flakes again when I'm home
Dinner: Mysis and plankton, roughly 5+ cubes worth; I go thru Hikari flat packs quickly.
Night cap: some more flakes.

That's at least 6-7 times that they get fed. Obviously they're active fish, so I feed them accordingly, they're all far from being skinny. I DO NOT have algae issues: I run heavy export as well (skimmer, Rowaphos 24/7, monthly WC, chaeto, sulfur denitrator). I've seen "healthy" reefs with a lot of fish and no color to their SPS: they don't feed enough and export too much, and they've turned around once they fed more and cut export back. It's true, I've dosed bacteria too, but it was to perhaps help with my bad situation after my reboot earlier this year, but I've also stopped for the past month. I don't put that much weight and credit on the MB7 or the EcoBalance additives in helping my tank (in fact I think it sparked my cyano issue).

I feel @Big E said it best in the other thread:
"Corals take in ammonium and urea directly from fish...........if anyone wants a healthier system just have enough fish and feed them well. There will also be plenty of nitrogen available. The poop has plenty of PO4 that passes through the fish and promotes bacterial growth. There will be plenty of bacteria for every living organism in your system." What's enough fish? I don't know, but most guys I know have tanks that are 120-300 gallons and aim to have at least 20+ fish in there, obviously bigger tanks like a 225+ has 25-30+ fish. I have a 240 with the above listed fish, and I'm about to add 3 more yellow tangs if I'm being honest. I'm not saying that this is the answer, but I don't think it can be argued it doesn't help. Some of the guys I know start off how a noob would: 100% fresh water, dry dead rock, and some used bottled bacteria to help a cycle. Some have cycled the rock and ran business as usual. But something differs here and there's a deviation that allows them to thrive and keep sailing smooth while noobs struggle and crash. I feel it's because they fed their fish heavily and didn't worry about the "uglies" that may come with a new or rebooted tank.

Does anyone here have a super colorful, healthy SPS tank that has minimal fish and minimal feedings (like once/day or less)? Maybe this can help others who are struggling too, and they can re-evaluate their tanks in terms of stocking and feeding (I think most people are scared to feed their fish for fear of algae), and perhaps add more fish or just feed a couple more times during the day? Does anyone have to dose to overcome a light stocking and feeding regiment? Let's see if we can start seeing some more success threads vs. dead/dying/paling/bleaching threads. No one posts up my acros are browning threads, it's always dead threads.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have an extraordinary amount of fish in a smaller tank can be an issue on the other hand. Detritus is created frequently and hard to remove. Having a ton of fish in a big tank with the proper export methods is a really good way to grow acros in my experience though.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be following this one with interest. I'm blown away at the notion of feeding fish six+ times per day. I am doing really good if I manage once a day. I often miss a day, but do try to never miss two in a row. But six+ times a day??

Please note I'm not disputing your proposition - you may be right, I have heard similar things here and there from very successful SPS keepers especially.

Just chiming in to say that even when I raised cuttlefish, which were the most labor intensive animal I've ever kept in an aquarium, I only had to feed them once or twice a day.

If your proposition turns out to be true, I will have to investigate automatic feeders as a required piece of equipment.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is actually some wild data to back this theory up.

and its not just fish number but the type of fish present. Wild reefs with large populations of large carnivorous fish are the only reefs that scientists call healthy. Now how you would recreate that in a home reef, is a completely different story lol. Of course your 90gallon reef needs a 500 gallon indoor shark pond as a sump lol.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 20+ fish in my 187g system. I do water changes every 2 or 3 weeks, run GFO and GAC, and have a healthy chaeto fuge.
I feed a mix of PE Mysis and LRS Fish Frenzy every morning, 2 feedings of pellets via auto feeder during the day, and a larger LRS Fish Frenzy feeding at night when I get home. I'll also feed extra if I'm home longer just to enjoy watching them feed.
I'd like to think I have a healthy reef.
ornate-jpg.1347508

I like where you are going with your initial post, but I think you should add flow as one of the critical processes. I feel it is at least as important as lighting.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree with this. I have a ton of fish and feed ALOT too. At least 6 times a day and usually more on the weekends when I am home all day. I do have heavy export too and my SPS are thriving recently.

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's funny to make a claim about not having algae issues when you're running everything in the book to prevent algae. There is no way those fish need that much food. They sure don't get that in the wild.
Well, How else would I control excess nutrients? It’s either heavy in, heavy out or don’t feed my tank and watch everything look like crap, with skinny fish. Fish in the ocean have access to food 24/7 if they want, which is why they’re so much healthier and fatter than what we tend to see in homes.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess we need to know what is better? Food or poop?

Fish or not, food will eventually become nitrates and phosphate which corals need. My guess is that you can put food into the water in a mature, fishless, system and still be successful.

I prefer fish. My Midas knows what’s up; he regularly poos in front of my power heads to help me with my corals.

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have an extraordinary amount of fish in a smaller tank can be an issue on the other hand. Detritus is created frequently and hard to remove. Having a ton of fish in a big tank with the proper export methods is a really good way to grow acros in my experience though.
True, I guess it comes off as me trying to advocate jamming a ton of fish into a small system and feeding carelessly. That’s quite the opposite. Rather, don’t stock too lightly and don’t not feed in fear of creating unwanted algae issues. I think having a nice number of fish that are fed well will help your SPS, no questions about that to me.

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be following this one with interest. I'm blown away at the notion of feeding fish six+ times per day. I am doing really good if I manage once a day. I often miss a day, but do try to never miss two in a row. But six+ times a day??

Please note I'm not disputing your proposition - you may be right, I have heard similar things here and there from very successful SPS keepers especially.

Just chiming in to say that even when I raised cuttlefish, which were the most labor intensive animal I've ever kept in an aquarium, I only had to feed them once or twice a day.

If your proposition turns out to be true, I will have to investigate automatic feeders as a required piece of equipment.
I bet the ones struggling will be more successful with well fed, rotund fish.
say one only has 5-6 fish in a 50 gallon tank. Maybe add one more or just feed an extra time or two during the day. Just make sure the excess nutrients and waste aren’t causing a problem to said reefer.
This is where testing diligently and setting a baseline helps to know what one can do, to me at least.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet the ones struggling will be more successful with well fed, rotund fish.
say one only has 5-6 fish in a 50 gallon tank. Maybe add one more or just feed an extra time or two during the day. Just make sure the excess nutrients and waste aren’t causing a problem to said reefer.
This is where testing diligently and setting a baseline helps to know what one can do, to me at least.

I’ve got 6 in a 34g. I feed half a cube of mysis every day. On the weekends, I feed a whole cube (half In morning and half at night ). I still can’t get detectable nitrates. Phosphate is around 0.06ppm, so I’m good there at least.

Guess ima have to feed a whole cube of mysis each day?

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 6 in a 34g. I feed half a cube of mysis every day. On the weekends, I feed a whole cube (half In morning and half at night ). I still can’t get detectable nitrates. Phosphate is around 0.06ppm, so I’m good there at least.

Guess ima have to feed a whole cube of mysis each day?
Brotha, I'd say try feeding that whole cube, or some flakes in the AM. But if you like your PO4 that way, maybe skip the flakes or pellets. Bubba feeds only frozen and his PO4 is like 0.04 ppm, I bet once you up that feeding you'll get that NO3 you want, if that's what you need.

I bet your TGC CB will look better than all the other tenuis you say looks like it! LOL

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 20+ fish in my 187g system. I do water changes every 2 or 3 weeks, run GFO and GAC, and have a healthy chaeto fuge.
I feed a mix of PE Mysis and LRS Fish Frenzy every morning, 2 feedings of pellets via auto feeder during the day, and a larger LRS Fish Frenzy feeding at night when I get home. I'll also feed extra if I'm home longer just to enjoy watching them feed.
I'd like to think I have a healthy reef.
ornate-jpg.1347508

I like where you are going with your initial post, but I think you should add flow as one of the critical processes. I feel it is at least as important as lighting.
Oh very true, regarding flow; but I was focusing more on having fish fed in a healthy manner. I hate sunken-in-bellied tangs and such.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back