does anyone use a grounding probe in you tank ?

reefer newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed a slight shock when I put my hand in my tank. Not much , kinda like a static electricity shock when you scoot your feet across the carpett and then touch someone. Does anyone use grounding probes in your tanks ? Any info would be appreciated.

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have always used one. Sometimes heaters, pumps die and can put stray voltage into the tank. Sounds like you might have that issue. Grounding probes give that stray current somewhere safe to go and prevent you and your fish from getting unnecessarily twitchy :)

Tburrus31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to put one on my tank. I lost like 4 fish all in a three day span when I first started so I used a volt meter to check it an sure enough my return pump was putting a currant in my tank. I bought the 12.00 probe an it fixed it right away.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a grounding probe, you won't be getting this "message" that you have a piece of equipment that is leaking voltage. Identify that equipment and replace it.

Grounding probes are only effective if you tie it into a CGFI! Otherwise, your cooking your corals and fish with current!

russo36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gone w out it in the past!!! Never gotten shocked!! But as stated above you might have some faulty equipment.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back