No shoes, put finger in aquarium and feel a sting. Stray current? How to ground?

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i am pretty sure i have a grounding problem. Few things in aquarium does not have grounding plug. Like heater, 12v powered diy ATO, lamp (using a tc-420 to control 2 pixie 30 and the meanwell 24v supply does not have grounding wire), skimmer dc pump.

I barely think to grasp the argument.

When i am without shoes and put my finger in the water (where i have open wound) i feel a sting. I am sure isn't a saltwater sting. if i put shoes on i don't feel it. i've tested with multimeter and number goes to 120 but when i simulate a grounding probe numbers go down and dont feel anything.

A part from a grounding probe, any other way to solve those problems?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest starting by identyfying the source. Just turn off and on equipment one by one until you figure out which is causing it. Grounding is always good for safety but it won't protect your coral if you don't remove the faulty gear.
@slopigyo I’m always fascinated by this comment. If there is stray voltage in the tank, how can it affect fish or corals if they aren’t grounded? It’s like birds and squirrels on electrical lines. As long as they don’t connect to ground they’re okay.

slopigyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@slopigyo I’m always fascinated by this comment. If there is stray voltage in the tank, how can it affect fish or corals if they aren’t grounded? It’s like birds and squirrels on electrical lines. As long as they don’t connect to ground they’re okay.
Hopefully someone much smarter can explain this. Still seems bad to be dumping stray power into the tank for no reason.

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with going one piece of equipment at a time until you find the source.

I would suggest starting by identyfying the source. Just turn off and on equipment one by one until you figure out which is causing it. Grounding is always good for safety but it won't protect your coral if you don't remove the faulty gear.

i have tried and there is 3 things, ato, dc pump and lamps. Idoubt they are all faulty, i am more prone to think that there is something linked to not having a grounded plug. is it possible? atm i've just made a sort of grounding probe out of a inox thermistor and it does indeed work. no more tingling.

For what i have understood many people does not have this problem because using a titanium heater with grounded plug make's the eather becoming a grounding probe. I am looking in to a new heater but atm i can't put money in that.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i am pretty sure i have a grounding problem. Few things in aquarium does not have grounding plug. Like heater, 12v powered diy ATO, lamp (using a tc-420 to control 2 pixie 30 and the meanwell 24v supply does not have grounding wire), skimmer dc pump.

I barely think to grasp the argument.

When i am without shoes and put my finger in the water (where i have open wound) i feel a sting. I am sure isn't a saltwater sting. if i put shoes on i don't feel it. i've tested with multimeter and number goes to 120 but when i simulate a grounding probe numbers go down and dont feel anything.

A part from a grounding probe, any other way to solve those problems?
Very dangerous situation. Just unplug things one at a time until you find the culprit, and throw it as far away as you can. I had more problems wit salt corroding cords than I need. Also power heads seem to loose their seals

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back