Stray voltage and is a grounding probe needed?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 22 volts is normal in a reef tank. That is just induced voltage and doesn't do anything except give you a reading on your meter. Anything that is near AC voltage will have a small voltage induced into it. When you walk under high voltage power lines an induced voltage is induced into you.

Did you ever see those people with purple Mohawk haircuts? They walked under to many high voltage lines.

If you measure more than about 108 volts (In the US) then you have a voltage leak and if you stick your hand in the water you will be thrown across the room in pain and possibly croak.

But luckily for us a ground probe will prevent that by tripping the breaker because any current "leak", especially in salt water will draw enough current to trip the breaker hopefully before you put your hand in the water.

If you are not sure, get one of your X Girlfriends to put her hands in the water first.

The best scenario is a GFI (as they are called in the trade) and a ground probe that you can make out of a knife, fork etc.

Master, construction A Journeyman electrician 50 years.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, in your opinion, is it best to have a grounding probe in both the sump and the main display since we have electrical equipment in both sections (assuming most people have wavemakers in the DT)?

This has started to become more of a concern for me after I was shocked in my mixing tank from a wavemaker that "suddenly" leaked electricity into the bin.
In mine Yes

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would guess your power bar gfi was faulty or not properly grounded. Would also recommend your ground probe gets plugged directly into a wall receptacle where the ground has been tested, and not into an extension cord of any kind, as it says just that on your package that you posted a pic of.
With that said afci are to help prevent fires.
Gfci are not to prevent fires, they are designed to protect you from electrocution.
I will never know. I assumed the arcing was bypassing the ground and just arcing to neutral. I'm not an electrician but went over it with a friend that's a master electrician and is one of the best trades people I know to learn about arcing. You can do individual receptacles or your entire home. Like a lot of people I tend to ignore things I sometimes should do I have yet to act on that and its been a couple of years. Just Stupid I guess

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 22 volts is normal in a reef tank. That is just induced voltage and doesn't do anything except give you a reading on your meter. Anything that is near AC voltage will have a small voltage induced into it. When you walk under high voltage power lines an induced voltage is induced into you.

Did you ever see those people with purple Mohawk haircuts? They walked under to many high voltage lines.

If you measure more than about 108 volts (In the US) then you have a voltage leak and if you stick your hand in the water you will be thrown across the room in pain and possibly croak.

But luckily for us a ground probe will prevent that by tripping the breaker because any current "leak", especially in salt water will draw enough current to trip the breaker hopefully before you put your hand in the water.

If you are not sure, get one of your X Girlfriends to put her hands in the water first.

The best scenario is a GFI (as they are called in the trade) and a ground probe that you can make out of a knife, fork etc.

Seen pictures of people that have had arms blown off. And huge exit wounds on their body. Not pretty

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dont agree it is normal. I had a little over 50 in my tank untill I unplugged my power head. As far as induced voltage no comment. There is an electrician on this site that knows more I assume
Seen pictures of people that have had arms blown off. And huge exit wounds on their body. Not pretty

I respect the fact that you are published, Do you sell on line would I find it on amazon as an example? On a different vein I don't want to leave this member with the voltage problem behind, That said I am trying to fix my Eshopps Hang on the back skimmer and have a post on it. If you are willing I will tell you what I have done to date and see if you have experienced this, I will post again if you are

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont agree it is normal. I had a little over 50 in my tank untill I unplugged my power head. As far as induced voltage no comment. There is an electrician on this site that knows more I assume

I respect the fact that you are published, Do you sell on line would I find it on amazon as an example? On a different vein I don't want to leave this member with the voltage problem behind, That said I am trying to fix my Eshopps Hang on the back skimmer and have a post on it. If you are willing I will tell you what I have done to date and see if you have experienced this, I will post again if you are
Just so you know, incase you missed it. PaulB is an electrician of 50 years. You might want to trust him

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an electrician on this site that knows more I assume
At one time I couldn't spell Lectrician. Now I are one. :grimacing-face:
Did miss that.
Yes. As an A Journeyman construction electrician I am Certified to work on or build anything in the US. That is nuclear power plants, Battleships, subways, high voltage, low voltage and I can put batteries in a flashlight. :thinking-face:

I respect the fact that you are published, Do you sell on line would I find it on amazon as an example?
I don't sell anything but my book is on Amazon. It is shown under all my posts on this forum unless you read this on a phone. 100% of the profits go to MS Research in my wife's name. I don't make a nickle on the book and I publish the receipts when the MS Society gets my donation.
It's called "The Avant-Garde Marine Aquarist.

I dont agree it is normal. I had a little over 50 in my tank untill I unplugged my power head.
By unplugging your powerhead you removed the source of the "Induced" voltage that will happen whenever you put any metal (or water) near any AC power. (like a powerhead) There is nothing wrong with your powerhead unless you get over 100 volts (In the US). If your powerhead did not induce "power" into your water, there is something wrong with it or it is DC while will not induce anything.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one time I couldn't spell Lectrician. Now I are one. :grimacing-face:

Yes. As an A Journeyman construction electrician I am Certified to work on or build anything in the US. That is nuclear power plants, Battleships, subways, high voltage, low voltage and I can put batteries in a flashlight. :thinking-face:

I don't sell anything but my book is on Amazon. It is shown under all my posts on this forum unless you read this on a phone. 100% of the profits go to MS Research in my wife's name. I don't make a nickle on the book and I publish the receipts when the MS Society gets my donation.
It's called "The Avant-Garde Marine Aquarist.

By unplugging your powerhead you removed the source of the "Induced" voltage that will happen whenever you put any metal (or water) near any AC power. (like a powerhead) There is nothing wrong with your powerhead unless you get over 100 volts (In the US). If your powerhead did not induce "power" into your water, there is something wrong with it or it is DC while will not induce anything.
Yes found it on Amazon Thanks. So no ideas about skimmer ?

OP
OP
V

vdubers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the comments and advise. I was about to buy a ground probe until researching ones available in the uk I came across these articles.

I have no idea on their credentials but my interpretation of the articles was that grounding probes can actually make the problem a danger to the fish since it creates current where there was none before?

I found them on another forum where someone posted that their grounding probe was apparently causing electrolysis to happen creating bleach that blinded and killed their fish?

I can link the thread if I am allowed but wasn’t sure on rules.

On another note I would highly recommend @Paul B ’s book. I purchased it from Amazon and not only found it informative but also very entertaining. I am working on some ideas from it and have a nice algae trough producing hair algae but will save that for another thread.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. What idea about skimmers.
but my interpretation of the articles was that grounding probes can actually make the problem a danger to the fish since it creates current where there was none before?
I totally disagree with this, but not being the God of fish tanks. Have fun, but be careful

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested what you think about Quarantine so looking forward to the read QT has many different responses I don't

know what to believe Just don't want to harm existing fish

I totally disagree with this, but not being the God of fish tanks. Have fun, but be careful
My hang off the back eshopps skimmer will not function as it should. I bought 2 new impellers one supposedly the new improved type both made for eshopps. did not work. I ordered a new skimmer it came missing a part. So I am dealing with that in the mean time I bought a new motor. The new motors and skimmers are redesigned incorporating a venturi in line. I changed the motor using the original connection that the impeller goes into so it is the same as it always was. I still cant get a balance of flow and air. There does no seem to be enough air. So next step is to get the new connection from the pump to the skimmer body and try again. It was cleaned and all passages are clear. Just sits there forming a light layer of bubbles but ends up dropping further down in a short time

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just ordered your book Looking forward to it. will miss posting for a while I am sure this saddens you

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hang off the back eshopps skimmer will not function as it should. I bought 2 new impellers one supposedly the new improved type both made for eshopps. did not work.
I have no Idea. I always built my own skimmers and never bought one. The 5' one I am using now is probably 25 or 30 years old.

Buckeye Ken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An RCD is a Residual-Current Device. It is the same thing as a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI). If you are detecting current in you aquarium water and every electric device on you aquarium system is on a RCD, then you have a faulty RCD. RCD's and GFCI's can and do go bad. They should be routinely tested and replaced when needed.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

@Paul B knows. That kid in the picture w Ben Franklin flying the kite is him!!! Just sayin. Appreciate you P. Happy reefing.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back