Does Chloroquine phosphate treat algae

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason I'm asking, I've never heard of this drug used as a tank cleaner. I'm debating with a brother on this-won't go political here--and I want to know:
1- is it used to treat algae
2-if so, what is in the bottle. Is it just Chloroquine phosphate or a version of it, or is there something else in the mixture. Would even love a pic of what is marketed as "fish tank cleaner"

I'm really wondering if the media has this mostly wrong and the stuff used is Chloroquine phosphate, just not human grade, like getting it on ebay.

I've used it to treat marine velvet, even have some. But never heard of it for algae on any thread, and would think if used, it would kill livestock in a tank

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will kill algae and if doses properly it will also kill parasites like ich. Thanks

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re talking about the chap in Arizona who poisoned himself .... it appears that all the articles simply parroted what the original local paper wrote. Although CP is a potent algicide, I’ve not ever heard of it being used for that purpose. Not clear what was actually used, though the implication was that it was not pharmaceutical grade. I’ve a medical prescription and the pills look nothing like the stuff I used to source off eBay for fish treatments.

It seems the terms chloroquine and chloroquine phosphate get used interchangeably. Hydroxychloroquine is apparently a derivative of chloroquine.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back