Does encrusting = happy? Placement help

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this is a silly question but if my cyphastrea coral is encrusting does that mean it’s happy where it is?
I think it may be in a place that’s too bright so I was meaning to move it this week when I did tank maintenance, but I noticed that it’s growing off the frag and encrusting the rock.
I don’t often see it’s polyps fully extended ( just barely, like fingertips) and it’s lost like a layer of skin ? In the last week? It looks healthier where the skin has shed.

should I move it even though it’s encrusted? Or leave it be?

4843C0A9-E966-489A-8595-A82259ADDBE0.jpeg
205DE139-3D25-4ECD-AC3E-62358A52E259.jpeg
BBD02FAA-CA28-4A7F-8ECF-C575C4D9C3F2.jpeg

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be thriving there so far. The only concern that I have is that in due time, you are probably going to have an issue with your Toadstools out competing for the light which could lead to the demise of your Cyphastrea, unless you move one or the other to ensure optimal lighting.

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be thriving there so far. The only concern that I have is that in due time, you are probably going to have an issue with your Toadstools out competing for the light which could lead to the demise of your Cyphastrea, unless you move one or the other to ensure optimal lighting.
I rent and haven’t settled down long enough for the corals to ever start growing over each other or really encrusting. Seems like every year or two I have to break down and set up the whole system. But I will keep it in mind and watch for overshadowing.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back