Does everyone but me know that only the tip of the PH probe can go underwater?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does everyone but me know that "only" the tip of the PH probe can go underwater?

40 years in the hobby, been fighting PH forever, Dosing 250 ml of kalkwasser every 20 minutes forever, open garage sump, adapted a CO2 scrubber. No difference !!!!

Raise the PH probe out of the water so the tip only is in the water.

I thought how is the 24" deep sump that much lower than the surface.......I'm officially an idiot !!!

We never stop learning

IMG_0396.JPEG
arning.
IMG_0395.JPEG

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right you are. They actually make a pH probe holder that I included in my sump build:

1622505754619.png

You also need to keep it away from other electrical stuff, such as pumps, because they could cause for interference in the pH reading.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't knew this. It might explain my low pH reading. I dunk the probe in the display. I was looking at the Neptune and IM probe holders, looks like I will get one sooner than I thought.

Attachments

• 20210531_200103_HDR.jpg
    20210531_200103_HDR.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the top of the surface probe only 1" deep, 8.32, move probe to bottom of sump, 24" down........ph 7.6.

I can't believe I did not know this. 40 years in the hobby...

Let everyone know your mistakes, that's how we learn, successes are easy to show off, failures are not so easy

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah....

Wait, what?

My apex PH probes reads the same whether I submerge it an inch or 2, or leave it so just the tip is in the water. Mine has always been an inch or 2 submerged.

I would think with the probe at the surface, your only measuring the surface PH not the water volume PH if it was pushed further into the water.

Of course I've been known to be wrong too.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah....

Wait, what?

My apex PH probes reads the same whether I submerge it an inch or 2, or leave it so just the tip is in the water. Mine has always been an inch or 2 submerged.

I would think with the probe at the surface, your only measuring the surface PH not the water volume PH if it was pushed further into the water.

Of course I've been known to be wrong too.
To better clarify for you. the probe is under water now by about 2". Before the probe was totally sunberged wire and all about 16" -18" under water. The sump flow is a bout 7000 ( yes thousand ) gallons an hour, so dont think there is a surface and 2" below surface ph differnce. I believe the BRS PH probe wire submerged under water is what was causing the issue.

Last edited:

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To better clarify for you. the probe is uncer water now by about 2". Before the probe was totally sunberged wire and all about 16" -18" under water. The sump flow is a bout 7000 ( yes thousand ) gallons an hour, so dont think there is a surface and 2" below surface ph differnce. I believe the BRS PH probe wire submerged under water is what was causing the issue.
Maybe the wire was picking up some electrical interference when it was submerged?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back