Does Flow Affect Par?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about renting a par meter but was wondering how to properly measure the par?

Does the amount of flow in an aquarium have any impact on the par? Does par change with the different flow rates from the pumps?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about renting a par meter but was wondering how to properly measure the par?

Does the amount of flow in an aquarium have any impact on the par? Does par change with the different flow rates from the pumps?
Yes, in so much as it will drift based on the surface agitation and refraction as a result. I measure with the flow on and keep the sensor there for a while, recording the average PAR. Par can jump around quite a bit, so pick the highest and lowest readings produced and you can surmise the average of the two for the most accurate assessment of what your corals are actually receiving. IMHO.

To satisfy your curiosity, test also with no surface agitation. Keep your sensor verticle.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, in so much as it will drift based on the surface agitation and refraction as a result. I measure with the flow on and keep the sensor there for a while, recording the average PAR. Par can jump around quite a bit, so pick the highest and lowest readings produced and you can surmise the average of the two for the most accurate assessment of what your corals are actually receiving. IMHO.

To satisfy your curiosity, test also with no surface agitation. Keep your sensor verticle.
That makes so much sense! Thank you!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would measure with the flow off to make it easier. I think the par meter will be more accurate with a steady light, vs reading the shimmer caused by surface agitation.

LDog74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just rented a par meter from BRS. The flow absolutely effects the par readings. I am seeing anywhere from a 20-75 difference. I have 2 MP40’s & 3 RS 45 Reefwaves on my 225 gallon for movement.
I would leave your pumps on for taking readings.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just rented a par meter from BRS. The flow absolutely effects the par readings. I am seeing anywhere from a 20-75 difference. I have 2 MP40’s & 3 RS 45 Reefwaves on my 225 gallon for movement.
I would leave your pumps on for taking readings.
Thank you! That’s a significant difference!

spd3001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done studies of optical transmission through turbulence. Whether the medium is air, water or hot gasses it's affected by the turbulence. The medium can be modeled as a collection of many different sized lenses that appear and disappear in the line of sight. So any instantaneous measurement can be higher or lower than what would be measured in the absence of turbulence. In an aquarium, the intensity is probably varying quite rapidly depending on the strength of the flow and the nature of the boundary between the air and seawater. However, if you're taking your measurements with a handheld sensor, that probably introduces as much uncertainty in the measurement as the turbulence as it's difficult to hold the sensor stationary and parallel to the surface of the water.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since par meters vary up to about 20% from brand to brand and model to model ...they are just giving you a rough guess anyway. It's more important to make sure you have the same brand/model/firmware version as the person you are trying to compare to.

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I first took measurements with the flow off and this was my baseline. Then repeated the same measurements points with flow on. With both sets of data, I was able to determine what type of coral is placed where. Maybe not the best approach but I'm a data guy so this made sense to me.

davilahope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely affects par!! I've actually had an acro that got burnt from me leaving the flow off for too long because it was receiving more light than usual for that unknown amount of time

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to a YouTuber about testing par with flow on and off. His experiment showed a negligable difference while my tank tests about 50 to 70 par lower on average. The variable in my mind is intensity of flow. My surface literally boils and I generally have no flat breaks on my water surface. So what do I do? Whatever my par says with flow off, i set my light 5 or so percent above my target par.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back