Does fresh air for skimmer affect tank temp?

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s still early in my tank build, but I’m considering running fresh air to my protein skimmer someday to help maintain Ph if it becomes troublesome. My plan would be to run a pvc pipe inside the wall that terminates inside the attic. The temps in my attic can vary wildly from 50’s in the winter to 120 or so in the summer. How dramatically would these affect my tank temp?

My total system is 36 gallons and I run an IceKap K1 nano skimmer.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Pa were it regularly gets down into the single digits in the winter time, and I never saw it affect my tank temp that I could notice.

OP
OP
BitReef

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Pa were it regularly gets down into the single digits in the winter time, and I never saw it affect my tank temp that I could notice.
Does you air line take air from the attic, or directly outside. Also, do you have any kind of filter on it?

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how much air your skimmer uses. Mine uses about 10 liters of air per minute, so this winter in Ohio, I had a drastic tank temp drop, because it was cold outside, and had to take my outside air line off my skimmer. I’ll plug it back in next spring when things warm up again.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only downside to running an airline to a skimmer (depending on how long you run it), it does restrict how much air is getting into your skimmer. This is not a issue if it's only a couple of feet, but if it's far, then it may be an issue.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back