Does GHL have an equivalent of the Apex 24V DC accessory ports?

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need my aquarium controller to have 24V or 12V DC ports that can be turned on for a few seconds o a few minutes at a time at specific points in the day. It's for a frozen food dispenser.
@Lasse, I guess you may know this one!

Thanks a bunch to anyone who'll chime in!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need my aquarium controller to have 24V or 12V DC ports that can be turned on for a few seconds o a few minutes at a time at specific points in the day. It's for a frozen food dispenser.

The simplest solution would be - IMO - to put a 12 or 24 V PSU adapter (like the one below) in a power bar and let a timmer function manage off and on.

1694732516640.png

Another way is to use a S-port to switch on/off a relay that give 12 or 24 V outgoing. A S-port can max give 12 V and 100 mA

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a bunch everyone!
A S-port can max give 12 V and 100 mA
So is it limited to 1,2 watts precisely?

Any idea what would happen if the DC accessory tried to draw more amps?
Normally, I'd assume it'd just function more slowly, if it were a normal Wall adapter not sure about this case tho.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a bunch everyone!

So is it limited to 1,2 watts precisely?

Any idea what would happen if the DC accessory tried to draw more amps?
Normally, I'd assume it'd just function more slowly, if it were a normal Wall adapter not sure about this case tho.
It's not meant to directly drive any accessory.

It's an output port that can be used to drive a switching device like a transistor or small electromechanical relay.

That interface device can then switch a larger load.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros is coming out with the Kraken. It will have 8 24v DC ports. The supply for the Kraken is 480 watts. It also has 4 12v DC ports. It also has a battery connector to hook up a 12v battery. It also has a built in lead acid battery charger. That can be disabled if you want to use something other than a lead acid battery. The Kraken will supply 12v to the 24v outputs if there is no AC power if you want.

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros is coming out with the Kraken. It will have 8 24v DC ports. The supply for the Kraken is 480 watts. It also has 4 12v DC ports. It also has a battery connector to hook up a 12v battery. It also has a built in lead acid battery charger. That can be disabled if you want to use something other than a lead acid battery. The Kraken will supply 12v to the 24v outputs if there is no AC power if you want.
Id love that, but im in Europe and hydros refuses to sell in Europe!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id love that, but im in Europe and hydros refuses to sell in Europe!
It is my understanding that this is the supply that will power the Kraken when it is released. It show on the label to be compatible. So it may be that for now they have no means to support them in Europe.

IMG_7270.jpeg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to do it that way - its already possible with GHL. They have a a power hub (maybe out of stock now but I think that the industrial line have a similar) there you can control whatever Volt you want

1694969660636.png

I have those in my cabinet - controlling 12 V DC, 24 V DC and 240 V AC. You just connect the phase of the power source of you want to control - the neutral (zero) is the same for each separate power source. In this photo you see a bunch of power hubs and DC sources plus some with 240 V AC

1694969993152.png

By the way - I understand that Hydro use WiFi between the different modules - Personally - I would never trust a WiFi connection between the brain and the executing module

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture below shows the principles for a 24 an 12 V DC PSU:s to be shared and divided into separate channels with help of the GHL Powerhub 6 D "¤= or 110 V AC can be used the same way

1694972346562.png

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have a a power hub (maybe out of stock now but I think that the industrial line have a similar)
Thanks! it seems they may have been discontinued, couldn't find the equivalent version for the industrial line!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here - but I do not know if it is the same - with contacts and no active power - not with sockets or active power like schuko or others. Anyone know? @Gaël ?

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here - but I do not know if it is the same - with contacts and no active power - not with sockets or active power like schuko or others. Anyone know? @Gaël ?

Sincerely Lasse
No, it's a Powerbar 6e but in IL version, so with sockets and active power with schuko.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...By the way - I understand that Hydro use WiFi between the different modules - Personally - I would never trust a WiFi connection between the brain and the executing module...
This is not completely accurate. They have command bus cables between modules. However they do have a
couple of accessories that use Wi-Fi. These devices I would be concerned with using.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way - I understand that Hydro use WiFi between the different modules - Personally - I would never trust a WiFi connection between the brain and the executing module

Sincerely Lasse
The Hydros does not have a brain like the Apex. Each module is it's own controller and can be used independently or as a collective of controllers together to form one large controller. They are connected together by bus cables. If one were to fail you would only loose the inputs and outputs specific to that controller. If the inputs are used to control other outputs the would go into the selected fallback mode. There are wifi power strips, wifi plugs and wifi feeder you can pair to the controllers or a collective but I would not use them for critical things such as ATO, AWC or dosing. Lighting or pumps that are normally on or even heaters that have other means of control would be ok. If communication is lost between them and the controller or collective they remain in whatever state they are in until communication is restored unless it is a power failure. Then they would need to get a command to turn back on. The Hydros has a controller with 8 AC outputs you can use also and since it is a controller it would be stand alone or a part of a collective. Some of the controllers also have drive ports which are 12v output ports. The upcoming Kraken has 4 of these along with 8 24v output ports. There are several controllers that are power givers in they also power the buss. Those are the Kraken, X10, XP8, XD and wave engine. I currently have 12 controllers in a collective and it controls my tank, RODI filter and my mixing station along with some non Aquarium related things. The controllers themselves to communicate with the cloud via wifi but will continue to operate without either wifi or internet. You would only have limited manual control other than what was already setup before the outage. So you could still override outputs to off, auto or on during a wifi or internet outage using the app on your phone or since you can still communicate via bluetooth with them.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Its here

1697209564175.png

Delivery from Nov. 15, 2023, can already be pre-ordered

Sincerely Lasse

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its here

1697209564175.png

Delivery from Nov. 15, 2023, can already be pre-ordered

Sincerely Lasse
Lasse, what is new in this industrial line? is it the same profilux just in better housing? Anything you see here that is an upgrade over the non-industrial line please point out I am super curious, thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back