Does hypo mask velvet?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish is the velvet expert. He will know for sure. I've heard hypo will not cure velvet, anymore than that I can't say. I do know a FW dip will knock most of the nodes off a fish and give it temporary relief, but exposes raw flesh that can be subject to bacterial infections. Velvet will be back in force within just a few days to the next day...

Just my experience with a tang I cured.

OP
OP
lagatbezan

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I'm NOT looking to treat velvet with hypo, just curious if I have a fish in hypo and don't see any signs of velvet, is it safe to assume there is no velvet or is it possible that it can be masked during hypo kinda like how low concentration of copper masks velvet and ich.
@Humblefish

kesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I'm NOT looking to treat velvet with hypo, just curious if I have a fish in hypo and don't see any signs of velvet, is it safe to assume there is no velvet or is it possible that it can be masked during hypo kinda like how low concentration of copper masks velvet and ich.
@Humblefish
I dont think fish in hypo will not display velvet. But it may take longer a little longer to display any symptoms in hypo conditions due to lower number of parasites. Similar to what a freshwater dip does. It reduces, but not eradicates. So, yeah, eventually it will show.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 191 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back