Does ick transfer with rock

LoveAquatics

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 11, 2024
Messages
17
Reaction score
33
Location
Central Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upsizing from a 180 to a 250 soon and am planning to use rock from existing tank along with extra live rock that has been with no animals for 4-6 months. I have an ick management tank as I got wiped out the end of last year with the exception of my six wrasses.
Does ick transfer with the rock? I have corals encrusted and sponges etc and really do not want to get rid of it.
 
I am upsizing from a 180 to a 250 soon and am planning to use rock from existing tank along with extra live rock that has been with no animals for 4-6 months. I have an ick management tank as I got wiped out the end of last year with the exception of my six wrasses.
Does ick transfer with the rock? I have corals encrusted and sponges etc and really do not want to get rid of it.

Yes - anything "wet" has the potential of transferring ich from an infected tank to a non-infected one. The chance of that happening depends on the amount of wet material moved and how active the ich infection is. Live rock is the number 2 cause of ich transfer (after moving infected fish themselves).

After about 60 days, (temperature dependent) the resting stage of ich will die out if there are no fish hosts present. If your tank has been fishless for 4 months, the rock is safe. However, you need to quarantine your new fish properly, else they may bring ich into the tank - making it *seem* like the old rock infected them.
 
Last edited:
Yes - anything "wet" has the potential of transferring ich from an infected tank to a non-infected one. The chance of that happening depends on the amount of wet material moved and how active the ich infection is. Live rock is the number 2 cause of ich transfer (after moving infected fish themselves).

After about 60 days, (temperature dependent) the resting stage of ich will die out if there are no fish hosts present. If your tank has been fishless for 4 months, the rock is safe. However, you need to quarantine your new fish properly, else they may bring ich into the tank - making it *seem* like the old rock infected them.
So a Scenario . Say you have the Luxury of removing the Rock. Which by the way just inspired me to keep my Coral off the rock in my new Tank. Does it also cycle using the sand ? If so would you use ( no fish ) chemicals , UV light or handheld UV by 3D reefing ?
 
So a Scenario . Say you have the Luxury of removing the Rock. Which by the way just inspired me to keep my Coral off the rock in my new Tank. Does it also cycle using the sand ? If so would you use ( no fish ) chemicals , UV light or handheld UV by 3D reefing ?
With rock that has no attached coral would a fresh water dip kill the beneficial bacteria? I realize there would be water trapped in the rock but trying to help myself with the management.
I don’t know that I have enough space to quarantine 12-15 fish.
 
With rock that has no attached coral would a fresh water dip kill the beneficial bacteria? I realize there would be water trapped in the rock but trying to help myself with the management.
I don’t know that I have enough space to quarantine 12-15 fish.
Sorry,that question was for Jay
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new