Does it end with sticks?

What type of coral did you start with and what type is you main focus now?

• Total voters

jokervueboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love things that wave with the current (powerheads). So I love my softies! How can one not love pulsing xenia?

rdevoe11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the intention of running an sps dominant tank, but my love for all corals (and BTAs!) has led me into a mixed reef. As they continue to grow out, my 3 sticks will be a great complement to my scoly, acan garden, various zoas, btas, chalices, brains, toxic hammer, etc..

That being said, I do see the appeal to an sps dominant tank. If I could afford a second tank right now...

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in this hobby many years ago not knowing a thing about corals. I went in to my lfs on a budget, wanting to fill my tank, and they steered me towards xenia, shrooms, and zoas. I had success, grew coral, and was ever obsessed with adding more color and variety. I hit an end point eventually where I felt like despite the numerous options, everything just looked the same and I became bored with my tank. I wanted blue, and red that I just couldn't find, everything was some shade of green or purple. When I started my current tank I had the budget for better equipment, proper lighting, and the coral itself, plus I had the patience to let things grow over time and with that I decided to go sps. I couldn't imagine my tank now without them. I think the appeal for softies and lps is their faster grow rate, more forgiving nature, affordability of the coral, and the lesser requirements for equipment up front. That said after time in the hobby the fear goes away, the sticker shock fades, and I think we're all left with a sense of desire to overcome the unknown. My advice is to do what makes you happy, be open to change, take your time, and don't cut corners. Make an end goal for your tank by looking at others. You can visit your lfs and peruse the thousands of fts online. If you naturally gravitate towards a certain type of coral or tank idea, then go with that, learn as much as you can about that coral and make your tank the best version of your dream possible.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been in this hobby a little over a year and while I have been loving every aspect of it I just can't seem to get into the stick side of things. Every seasoned reefer tells me "oh you will love those precious sticks in due time my young reefer, in due time" usually that is followed by an evil laugh and a puff of smoke. But I love my LPS and Softies I shout! Will i grow to hate them? Will they betray me? Will they take all of my money and leave me on the street penny-less? If that is the case should I just save myself the pain and dump them now. In my heart I feel that I will always love my squishy little friends but my brain tells me to save my money and tears and jump on the stick band wagon. So what are the seasoned veterans thoughts? Did you start with sps and stick with it? Did you Start with lps/softies and switch to sps? or did you start with lps/softies and vow to never leave them? or did you start with sticks and realize that they just were not for you? Can't wait to see your coments.

Keep what you like to keep there is nothing wrong with that.
Don't fall into the trap of hype. I have been in the reef hobby almost close to 30 years, most dont last 5 ....

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as I saw my first grown out sps tank when I stopped by a local reefers house I was hooked on sps from that instant IMO u just can't rival a full grown sps tank it is awe inspiring to see in person wish I could get It right I guess I'm a slow learner

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mixed reefs but strive to have sps dominant tank.. Its not sps dominant at this point but will be :tongue:

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be mixed, but aiming more for sticks now. Might be hard to take care of, but much easier to manage the growth and fragging. I like taking up the vertical water space rather than having my rocks and sand become overrun.

Rasengan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love them all - anything that creates a vibrant array of colors in my tank! With that said, I started off with softies, moved on to a huge zoa phase, and now I'm addicted to sticks. It's not that I don't care about the others, in fact just last week I bought a really colorful shroom (along with 7 sticks) but it's just that sticks are more of a challenge to grow and thrive than the others. I've failed so many times on acropora that when I do succeed, it feels that much better. And I think, as saltwater aquarists, we all have that kind of mentality. Saltwater aquariums aren't easy hobbies and we've all learned to fail before we succeeded. I think we all have that kind of attitude that failure isn't an option and the harder the challenge, the better it will feel when we overcome it.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love them! I've always had mixed reefs. Other than a few months starting my first tank, I've always had a few SPS. I have a soft spot for smooth skinned SPS and blastos.

For me, I took a while to start liking chalices. I did not like them at first, but now I wouldn't go without my trusty BGM and Miami Hurricane!

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hated sticks and all the LFS guys I've got to know would say the same thing "oh you'll love them eventually"...

Now I'm out of control buying every rare and sexy piece I can find. Filled up a 30g frag tank in about a month and thinking about quadrupling that. Not to mention my DT being pretty much filled with sps frags after selling about 30-40 softie pieces to make room.

It's an addiction that I love. How will the color evolve? Growth patterns, etc

saltylife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bug that comes from buying "sticks" is the many array and patterns that they come in. Also the vertical growth. My tank started lps. Mostly hammers, torches, and stuff that were flowy. But once I seen a sps dominate tank... It was over. Now my tank is a mixed system. But by far sps dominate. I want every stick I see. I'll even take the "ugly" ones. To put in better words...

Hi my name is Brandon and I'm a sticks addict.

prime8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with softies for the movement they provide and visual delight. Bit by the zoa bug and started my collection. I Got up to about 75 diff zoas and slowly acclimated myself to really really liking sps.
I now have an sps dominant reef tank, but still love my zoas. I'm torn!! Whenever I need a fix, and an bored with the slow growth of sps, I buy another zoa and watch it pop off new polyps to get me through the painfully slow yet delightful coloring up period related with sps

Last edited:

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started with shrooms,softies and a couple bullet proof sps (pavona cactus) went to sps but the past 10 years its been lps. sticks are cool but kind of boring no movemen...

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS!, i tell my girlfriend its the equivalent to her buying shoes or clothes.... i buy SPS. she has almost 100 pairs of clothes/shoes, that means i can have almost 100 SPS... FAIR TRADE!

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol 7 years in this relation, i wonder if she'll say yes that one day. haha .... "how SPS ruined my relationship"

Bernie21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a fish guy primarily and have been and will always be. That being said, I don't like FOWLR tanks, it looks unnatural to me. I've been in this hobby for a lil over 10 years and seen a lot of fads (not that SPS is a fad). I prefer a mixed reef, so Ive always had a Softie/LPS tank and I still do a decade later. A SPS tank is beautiful, but so is a fully mixed tank. To me, thats the ultimate goal, so any SPS I keep needs to be tough enough to handle fish, LPS and softies.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 50 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back