Does my Squamosa have pinched mantle?

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. This is a fairly new addition to my tank. There are several other clams as well. Another blue squamosa, hipopus, and derasa that do not appear have the same symptoms. The blue does have some localized bleaching going on, however (This is new). I think this is because I recently started adding red seas colors trace elements and may have overdosed iodine slightly. Of course, I stopped dosing. Maybe this stressor caused the PM to take hold of the other Squamosa if we can positively ID here.
Its a 3-4 inch clam so its past that "delicate" stage I would think. Thoughts?

IMG_1477.jpg IMG_1478.jpg IMG_1479.jpg IMG_1480.jpg IMG_1481.jpg

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could very well be PMD, here is a good thread on treatment

OP
OP
Poriferabob

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please explain to me how to match the PH of my RO water to that of my tank. If I'm not mistaken the ph of RO is very unstable and I can never get the numbers to match with either my Apex ph probe or Hanna ph pen. I'm trying to use baking soda and its a total nightmare.

Is there a ratio of some sort. 1 tsp per gallon sort of thing that would work?

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please explain to me how to match the PH of my RO water to that of my tank. If I'm not mistaken the ph of RO is very unstable and I can never get the numbers to match with either my Apex ph probe or Hanna ph pen. I'm trying to use baking soda and its a total nightmare.

Don't worry about matching pH for dip. Any pH mismatch between tank and RO water is well tolerated during the dip.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RO water is not unstable. It is just fairly pure water. You don't need to worry about pH. I just worry about temperature. Make sure the temperature is within a few degree of each other. If needed use a microwave to heat up a glass of the RO water and mix it to the RO patch to bring the temperature up.

There is nothing "unstable" about RO or distill water. Water is the most stable compound/molecue there is under normal temperature and pressure.

OP
OP
Poriferabob

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO water is not unstable. It is just fairly pure water. You don't need to worry about pH. I just worry about temperature. Make sure the temperature is within a few degree of each other. If needed use a microwave to heat up a glass of the RO water and mix it to the RO patch to bring the temperature up.

There is nothing "unstable" about RO or distill water. Water is the most stable compound/molecue there is under normal temperature and pressure.

I just want to clarify. I am talking about RO and Deionized water from my water change set up. I remember reading that humans should not consume Deionized water. Something to do with screwing things up on a molecular level. I just sort of figured it would not be good for organisms either.

OP
OP
Poriferabob

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to everyone that has replied. your knowledge and input is very much appreciated.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is safe to assume the RODI water at 0 tds is pure water so always has a pH of 7.0. Use that and the volume of RODI to correct to match your aquarium pH.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need RO or RODI water. Just dechlorinated water is fine and RO or RODI water is also fine.
we can drink RO water fine. No problem. We can also drink DI water. However DI may be contaminated with the DI resin polymer. Not much harm done. Also it is a wast of DI polymer. We can certainly drinks distill water without problem.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No disrespect but drinking DI water shouldn’t cause any significant health problem as the most majority minerals and ions are supplied by the food we eat. However this has little to do with the subject. DI water will have a slightly acidic ph due to the CO2 dissolved. That being said, the salt from the seawater carried by the clam itself should have more impact on the pH

Back