Does popping bubble algae bubbles spread it?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its commonly recommended to avoid popping bubble algae in the tank because it will spread the algae. But if this is true, how exactly do emerald crabs consume bubble algae without popping bubbles and spreading it?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder the same thing about the crabs, but I have a bubble algae problem because I bought a frag with a single bubble on it and accidentally popped it before I realized it was there.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it has been proven over and over, yet people still insist it does without any scientific evidence. Nothing more than hearsay presented as facts.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its commonly recommended to avoid popping bubble algae in the tank because it will spread the algae. But if this is true, how exactly do emerald crabs consume bubble algae without popping bubbles and spreading it?

I figured they pop it when they eat and they just consume whatever spreads and pops up. I figured it’s a continuous process. The crabs I figure are managing the bubble algae.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wondered the same thing.
Seems to spread very well even without popping in my tank.
Need more than one Emerald crab. :(

OP
OP
Cell

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured they pop it when they eat and they just consume whatever spreads and pops up. I figured it’s a continuous process. The crabs I figure are managing the bubble algae.

If this were the case, the bubble algae would increase exponentially to the point where the crab wouldn't be able to keep up in short order.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were the case, the bubble algae would increase exponentially to the point where the crab wouldn't be able to keep up in short order.

Why does it have to be exponential? I have pockets of bubble algae here and there. Small clusters. There one day, gone the next I assume from our Emerald. Then another patch pops up and it goes on and on. Who’s to say every cell released develops. I don’t know. That’s what I observe. Never seen him eat it, I assume it’s at night.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're magicians.... didn't you know?

1627607400571.png

1627607428078.png

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you smart people and your math skills and your ability to win every contest during r2r sales...

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you smart people and your math skills and your ability to win every contest during r2r sales...

*draws up algorithmic graph of bubble algae bubble popping growth equation.

Well you see.. The thing is where y=x = 6 hermit crabs, and b= a factor of 13Bubble Algae clusters to the 10th power.

It just makes doesn't add up mathematically! so the answer is no :p

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well you see.. The thing is where y=x = 6 hermit crabs, and b= a factor of 13Bubble Algae clusters to the 10th power.

But you forgot about God and his influence. I call it the G spot.

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You know they even had a quiz question about this smart ya-ya during one of the recent sales. Who does he think he is showing off his super smartness in such a casual "oh I'm not super smart, bud" way. Like, can't he dumb stuff down for us normal medium I.Q. types so we don't notice how he really is super smart. You know what I mean?

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know they even had a quiz question about this smart ya-ya during one of the recent sales. Who does he think he is showing off his super smartness in such a casual "oh I'm not super smart, bud" way. Like, can't he dumb stuff down for us normal medium I.Q. types so we don't notice how he really is super smart. You know what I mean?
I forgot this part so it shows I'm not serious --> :p

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny. My wife asked me that last week when I added three emeralds. I couldn’t answer her.

Dallascowboys16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always thought it didn't make much sense. I would like to see proof that popping spreads bubble algae before I believed it. It definitely seems to spread via some sort of spore given how it can appear around a tank, but I do not know why it would be reliant on being popped in order to spread.

Back