Does R2R serve as an IDP?

subodhs

Reef Automation Freak
View Badges
Joined
Feb 24, 2023
Messages
156
Reaction score
153
Location
Jacksonville
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R admins and moderators,

I recently built a calculator tool over at reef.tools and wasn’t initially planning on including any login management. However, I realized a few features could really benefit from allowing users to log in and save their preferences—like tracking which supplements they use for specific elements.

I was wondering if R2R supports the idea of acting as an Identity Provider (IDP) while reef.tools acts as a Service Provider (SP) to handle authentication. That way, R2R members could log in using their R2R credentials without me having to manage user logins myself.

Of course, I could also integrate Google or Facebook login, but I thought it would be great if we could keep everything within the R2R community.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers
 
I don't see any real upside for R2R to take on that responsibility. I would look at google integration, it is the least problematic and fairly easy to leverage.
 
Hey R2R admins and moderators,

I recently built a calculator tool over at reef.tools and wasn’t initially planning on including any login management. However, I realized a few features could really benefit from allowing users to log in and save their preferences—like tracking which supplements they use for specific elements.

I was wondering if R2R supports the idea of acting as an Identity Provider (IDP) while reef.tools acts as a Service Provider (SP) to handle authentication. That way, R2R members could log in using their R2R credentials without me having to manage user logins myself.

Of course, I could also integrate Google or Facebook login, but I thought it would be great if we could keep everything within the R2R community.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers
I would reach out to the owner. I'm not tagging him here deliberately and see if he's interested
 
@felda001 @BeanAnimal Thanks for the input! I see your point about R2R taking on that responsibility. I'll explore Google integration, as it's easy to set up and keeps things simple for users.

Appreciate the quick response and suggestion!
 
Hey R2R admins and moderators,

I recently built a calculator tool over at reef.tools and wasn’t initially planning on including any login management. However, I realized a few features could really benefit from allowing users to log in and save their preferences—like tracking which supplements they use for specific elements.

I was wondering if R2R supports the idea of acting as an Identity Provider (IDP) while reef.tools acts as a Service Provider (SP) to handle authentication. That way, R2R members could log in using their R2R credentials without me having to manage user logins myself.

Of course, I could also integrate Google or Facebook login, but I thought it would be great if we could keep everything within the R2R community.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers

Thanks for asking and cool tools you've built. We're actually building a set of calculators for our app for a v2 update.
 
@revhtree Thanks! I appreciate the kind words. I'm excited to hear about the v2 update of your app and the calculators you're building—sounds like we’re both trying to provide more value to the community! If there's ever room for collaboration or feedback, I'd love to be a part of it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new