does safety stop work?

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see title

not related at all but anyone have O.clownfish color variants they recommend

edit : thought i should clarify i meant for most common diseases I'm assuming it doesn't treat internal parasites

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safety Stop is apparently formalin in one part and methylene blue in the second. These are both old school (ancient) fish meds, I have tons of references regarding dosing. Trouble is, there seems to be no way to know that dose they are using in this product.

More than a decade ago, I developed an -in-house triage process that consisted of giving new fish a formalin dip, followed by antibiotic dip and then placing into a quarantine system. My mortality rate overall for incoming fish skyrocketed - turns out freshly shipped fish just couldn't handle the added stress. I now let the fish adjust to my quarantine systems for 72 hours and then start a comprehensive quarantine process; 30 days copper, two weeks prazi (3x) and two weeks observation. If I see Neobenedenia, I change over to hyposalinity for 35 days.

I have a Darwin clown that I'm partial to - clean color pattern and mean enough to bite my hand when I reach into the tank (grin).

Jay

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safety Stop is apparently formalin in one part and methylene blue in the second. These are both old school (ancient) fish meds, I have tons of references regarding dosing. Trouble is, there seems to be no way to know that dose they are using in this product.

More than a decade ago, I developed an -in-house triage process that consisted of giving new fish a formalin dip, followed by antibiotic dip and then placing into a quarantine system. My mortality rate overall for incoming fish skyrocketed - turns out freshly shipped fish just couldn't handle the added stress. I now let the fish adjust to my quarantine systems for 72 hours and then start a comprehensive quarantine process; 30 days copper, two weeks prazi (3x) and two weeks observation. If I see Neobenedenia, I change over to hyposalinity for 35 days.

I have a Darwin clown that I'm partial to - clean color pattern and mean enough to bite my hand when I reach into the tank (grin).

Jay
do you think fish that have been at a lfs for a couple weeks will be fine with it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think fish that have been at a lfs for a couple weeks will be fine with it?

Yes, that is less risky than applying a triage to fish that were just shipped, but remember, it really cannot replace a comprehensive quarantine process.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Instant quarantine- its a miracle. Just as promising as instant sea monkeys if you remember that gimmick which was nothing more than brine shrimp then came the optional miracle food for them- infosuria.
I would not bank on this product for success keeping in mind- Nothing goes fast in saltwater.
As for an emergency quarantine in a bucket, etc. . . maybe I would

91yjeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is less risky than applying a triage to fish that were just shipped, but remember, it really cannot replace a comprehensive quarantine process.

Jay
Would you say the drip method acclimation helps reduce stress for newly shipped fish? Or is it just as risky with the PH swings with an introduction of new oxygen when opening the bag? Better to just drop them in?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back