Does the tank just need more water?

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry never had a sump before. Tank is Red Sea reefer 350. I don’t want to put in too much water and any time I do it drains back down to the base of the collection cup and air is getting sucked in
IMG_6801.jpeg
IMG_6800.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah no matter how much water is in the tank/sump it drains to where the collection cup meets the inflow pipe

NYCBOB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to close the valve a bit more. water is flowing down too fast. adjust the round knob a little at a time and wait 10-15 minutes between adjustment.

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright so I turned the return off for the first time and it drained all the way down to the collection cup. I turned on the return and now it’s doing the same thing. Something’s gotta be wrong here, you shouldn’t have to do these adjustments any time you turn off the return please help

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Red sea 425xl and it is just fine tuning. As mentioned above, you have to wait a few minutes between minor adjustments. Once you get it right you won't have to adjust every time you shut off the return. Make sure there is enough water in the return chamber.

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Red sea 425xl and it is just fine tuning. As mentioned above, you have to wait a few minutes between minor adjustments. Once you get it right you won't have to adjust every time you shut off the return. Make sure there is enough water in the return chamber.
It was running perfectly until I turned off the return. I turned it back on and it started sucking up air and then the overflow drained to the base of the cup and the whole process of fine tuning it needed to be done again. Anything I am doing wrong??

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I turn off the return water drains from the overflow first. Is this normal or is there a “leak” somewhere

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. The return pump chamber should be full, so it should never suck air.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back