Does this aquascape "FLOAT" your boat?

Do you like the look of a floating aquascape?

• YES

Votes: 317 52.4%
  • NO

Votes: 203 33.6%
  • Not Sure (I'll lool at the thread)

Votes: 76 12.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 1.5%

• Total voters

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it but at the same time I don't think I can get a good sleep when I have 200> lbs of rock floating in the water without a solid base :eek::eek:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like it but at the same time I don't think I can get a good sleep when I have 200> lbs of rock floating in the water without a solid base :eek::eek:
It has a solid base - of plexiglas - you just cant see it - and its well attached to the wall. I don't think the rock itself is that 'heavy'. he used dry rock btw. at least from what I saw from his build video. My guess is that over time stuff - will grow down onto the plexiglas as it looks like its already started - or onto the back of the tank - to help support it.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I truly floated a dry-rock orb I glued together and maybe 90% floating...

So when I say floated, the orb is hollow. This can be done with a flat reef as well.

Roscovitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have dived - and I've never seen a reef growing from a piece of black glass. I think thats where some (myself included) - are saying it doesn't look real. There is no place I have been that has ever had a ball of coral floating in space - there is always an anchor - its on a rock, etc. Just my opinion
Presumably then you HAVE seen a reef growing out of the bottom of a glass floor then? What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. It very much does look like a lot of growth you see on a reef. That I thought was the point in seascaping: to emulate what you see on a reef within the confines of the glass boxes we build them in. Iv'e never seen a sump on a reef or a maxspect gyre above one or a Kessil floating in mid air above it either.

ocpondpoacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!
64C9B9F8-860F-464C-AB08-B8EB2A0205DF.jpeg
Is that a Waterbox Pen Mini?
It looks awesome.

maugustine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have to say for me, it does "float my boat!" I love a good floating aquascape. The problem is that the look is not easily achieved especially on a larger scale. Well a true floating aquascape anyway. But what about for you? Let's talk about it today!

1. Do you like the look of a floating aquascape?

2. Would you ever consider setting up a new tank with a floating aquascape?

image via coral_fish_zoa on IG
88246799_120214456217814_5432712473307275250_n.jpg
Never saw this before it looks very cool

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Presumably then you HAVE seen a reef growing out of the bottom of a glass floor then? What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. It very much does look like a lot of growth you see on a reef. That I thought was the point in seascaping: to emulate what you see on a reef within the confines of the glass boxes we build them in. Iv'e never seen a sump on a reef or a maxspect gyre above one or a Kessil floating in mid air above it either.
I do not care for bare bottom tanks for the same reason (i.e. I prefer at least a little sand - or corals covering the glass. Besides - its not like I said the guy who made it should be taken out and shot - I only gave my opinion of how it would look better 'to me'. Which - I think - was the purpose of the poll/OP, Right?.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have chunks of codium that keep randomly floating to the surface, does that count? Also, I have yet to see a natural looking Nano tank, so I don't get those comments, however I do think that a shelf coming off a back rock wall might look better. I thought about doing this so you can put some non-photosynthetic sponges in the shadow.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef aquascaping has never been a thing and in some ways it's been getting worse.

This suspended scape, much like the latest trend of "bonsai" aquascaping, fails to take into account the fish needs. A great deal of fish need caves, especially at night.

I never thought I would say this, but I miss the rock wall.

N3mo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it.

Scaping is becoming art pieces and these art pieces sit in focal points of the home and not hidden like other tanks are because of the mess they are in.

I'm not one that buys into the whole wanting the tank to look natural story, there's no glass box in nature. We taking pieces of coral and fish from around the world and placing them into a glass box. Having it look like a well put together piece of art that an be placed where everyone that walks into the house can view is the aim. Not a dirty glass tank with a pile fo rocks looking like a mess hidden in the corner of your house...

It's up to you to decide what you happy with.. I for one want everyone to see the tank when they walk into my house, so it sits in a focal point on the house as a main feature.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my rocks reach out over the surface and many times I tied them up with a piece of fishing line to keep large pieces up there. The line was above the water so you couldn't see it.

That example on the first post I do not like. The "floating" part is fine but it can't be a long lasting reef because there is no place for those corals to grow.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this scape as it looks very natural to me as a diver. There are plenty of overhangs and cavelips on a reef that look like this. What I don't like is the relative size compared to the tank. Just like PaulB this can only be used as a fragtank, no room for colonies.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. I love to find natural overhangs while diving, and this seems to me just a little piece of the reef re-created. For a small tank, I think it's cool.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a cool idea to add to add as a section of a fully landscaped tank...
for example a 2 or 3 foot section of a 8 foot long tank or more..
Attached is a picture of the 300 (96x30x24 tall) acrylic reef we are building.
It is now about 90% full of RODI water as of today. (9/24/2021)
But as you can see we tried to create some shelving with flat rocks, kinda like the floating idea. We just don't want to glue anything permanent to the back wall.
We used a hammer drill and mason grinder to chisel and grind rocks to make them fit snug and tight...NO glue at all...
One rock is almost 4 feet long and about 12 inches wide, weight 43 pounds...
We will be moving all our fish,corals and sump media to this soon, about a month away.
Lots to still do, not rushing,,,have to build doors and do all the wiring, hook up GHL gear.
check out the thread ....for more if you like...
Thanks if you do and for any support or idea you may have....

300 with rocks done.jpg

Last edited:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back