Does this cover everything for testing?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. These replies have given me more to think on than I anticipated. On the Nitrite, are you suggesting get a kit instead or that testing nitrite isn't necessary at all?
Nitrite is basically non-toxic in salt water. It's really not worth testing unless you're one of those people who wants to turn cycling a tank into a huge overcomplicated affair.

When ammonia is 0, it's safe for fish.

I use

Hanna ULR Phosphate
Hanna Alk (dKH)
Red sea pro Alk (because the Hanna gets flakey at times)
Red sea pro mag/calcium
Nyos nitrate.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the NYOS nitrate test is easier to discern where your tank falls in the color range. Using it, you compare two vials. One with just tank water and one with tank water that's been treated. You look through both vials, side-by-side, at colored circles to decide where your treated vial falls. This way, any discoloration of your water doesn't affect your reading.

IMO, deciding which shade of color your test result is closest to is an art. (Subjective to your eyes and interpretation). I just want to know if it is very high, not high, or very low. The exact value is not important.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the NYOS nitrate test is easier to discern where your tank falls in the color range. Using it, you compare two vials. One with just tank water and one with tank water that's been treated. You look through both vials, side-by-side, at colored circles to decide where your treated vial falls. This way, any discoloration of your water doesn't affect your reading.

IMO, deciding which shade of color your test result is closest to is an art. (Subjective to your eyes and interpretation). I just want to know if it is very high, not high, or very low. The exact value is not important.
To add to @schuby comment. I use the NYOS for nitrate testing, and when the sample color ends up being between two colored circles, I just take the average or midpoint. I don't try to figure out if I'm between 5 and 12 if I'm closer to 5 or closer to 12. I just call it 8 and move on.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 23.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back