Dog Face Puffer Question

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dog Face Puffer Question and Sump Question

Does anyone know how fast a dog face puffer grows? Dennis would love to have one, but not in my tank! So we saw a very reasonable tank for sale on CL but it's only 50G. If he got a small dog face, would it outgrow that quickly? Should he hold out for a bigger tank from the start? Would love to say "go get what you want" but with the amount we've been putting into mine he can't do it hahahahahahaha that's mean huh?

Last edited:

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the more you feed it the more they grow. they get quite big.... I think my brother had one in his 55 at one time.. but dont quote me on that.

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dogface puffer can get rather large... 6mo to a year max for. 55 (fish age)
Then 75 for another year... But they are very big fish... They eat alot... So there is alot of waste... They are more prone to ich... And cannot be treated with copper... So less stress is better... Ie... Big tank.. Decent water...

I had a dogface in the past... Ended up getting a 135 I think that would be an adequate life time size for the fish... They are really great fish... Lots of personality...

Ya don't have to have a 135 right off the bat... But make plans...

Hope that helps...

Ok... I better edit this... My bride actually knows everything there is to know about dogfaces... As they are one of her favorites... So... Basically I'm just repeating what she's told me ;)

-mel

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinaFoster

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awe your bride! That's special! And she likes fish too--you're a lucky man Mel! Dennis actually wanted the 300 I think you just got it? But we couldn't do that at this time. SO something for him to look forward to right? Thanks for the advice guys--he got the 50G for now and is already thinking of his upgrade so I think he'll be ok if he can keep him stress free. When he gets the fish. Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
TinaFoster

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next question: along with this 50G tank he got an Oceanic Model 75 trickle filter plus/wet dry. Of course it was disassembled partly, and we don't know the piece of equipment ourselves so does anyone know exactly what goes where? The confusing thing to me is there's what looks like an airtube coming out of it on the front, about 2" above the mimimum water line. Is there something that needs to attach to this tube? Is that what it is, an air fitting? I'll take photos tomorrow if need be, but if someone has had one maybe you know what I'm talking about.

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tube sounds like it may be for auto top off... But can't say for sure... Don't know much about wet/dry filters...

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back