Dogface puffer hiding and moving like it’s scared?

Zeromus-X

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday we thought our puffer had gotten “stuck” as he was in between some rocks and appeared to have difficulty moving, and was very dark. We moved the rocks and he left, and ate like normal. Woke up today and he is hiding in an unusual place and almost “twitching” - moving rapidly and breathing heavy but staying in place. No other fish are exhibiting any issues.

We’ve only had him for about a month and he has eaten frequently and never bothered or been bothered by tank mates. Is this behavior indicative of something bad? He doesn’t have spots/ich but he’s also not eating much today and isn’t moving to go get food when presented to him.

Any thoughts? (Attached a small video, apologies for the Cardinal in the way.)

IMG_3819.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3821.mov
    31.4 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday we thought our puffer had gotten “stuck” as he was in between some rocks and appeared to have difficulty moving, and was very dark. We moved the rocks and he left, and ate like normal. Woke up today and he is hiding in an unusual place and almost “twitching” - moving rapidly and breathing heavy but staying in place. No other fish are exhibiting any issues.

We’ve only had him for about a month and he has eaten frequently and never bothered or been bothered by tank mates. Is this behavior indicative of something bad? He doesn’t have spots/ich but he’s also not eating much today and isn’t moving to go get food when presented to him.

Any thoughts? (Attached a small video, apologies for the Cardinal in the way.)

IMG_3819.jpeg
Tough to see with him hiding sort of in a cave. By the way his head is bobbing, it seems to be breathing fast. That can be a sign of stress or disease. The other fish in the video seem o.k. Though.
Can you try for a video with it more out in the open?
Does the water test out ok?
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back