Dogface puffer rescue??

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8560.JPG
I am at Petco, and I always walk by their tanks just to see what they have. Although I never buy anything from here. There is a dog face puffer in here that looks like the sweetest thing in the world. He has white spots all over his fins and he just looks miserable. I'm pretty sure he has Ich. I have copper at home, along with the three main antibiotics. And I just happen to have an extra 10 gallon tank right now. I cannot spend a ton of money right now, but I already have an entire 10 gallon tank set up that I can use. I know that couldn't be his permanent home, but I don't think that I can have him in my main tank with the other fish that I have, so I could come up with something else. If he is the only thing I have, can he stay in a 10 gallon tank if I set it up as its own tank later? (Not that exact tank - that will end up a QT only.
Advice on how to treat and if I should take him home?

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait for the experts to confirm but I would do a freshwater dip for 5 minutes if its bad and then go in copper. I prefer using coppersafe.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait for the experts to confirm but I would do a freshwater dip for 5 minutes if its bad and then go in copper. I prefer using coppersafe.
Thank you, copper safe is what I have at home. The person at the pet store knows nothing about saltwater fish and just gave him to me along with a frozen bag of krill. I'm taking him home. They are not allowed to treat with medication at the store apparently. So I suppose he is better off with me than them

Heliarc19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffers can be copper sensitive I don't have much knowledge on this but I would research before using the coppersafe, best of luck.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am not sure, but I am seeing a few white spots on my cardinals that I have in QT as well . . . can I put them together with the puffer and do TTM? TTM sucks, but I know it works. Then I can use both of my 10 gallons that are set up. I suppose TTM wouldn't hurt the cardinals, would it?

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Got some good pics. Let me know your thoughts. Velvet too or just ich. I just want to get this guy better. Luckily he is eating. I have him some krill and he devoured 3 pieces!!!!
Hyposalinity? Try to get the CP?
TTM? Treat with prazi now?

IMG_8580.JPG
IMG_8581.JPG
IMG_8587.JPG
IMG_8582.JPG

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is adorable. I can see why you couldn't resist the effort. I'm no expert but you should be ok to do a freshwater dip to give him some relief and buy some time til the pro's s can chime in. I just set upba Fowler tank and one of the fish my granddaughter has requested was ta dog face. Good luck, we're praying for both of you.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is adorable. I can see why you couldn't resist the effort. I'm no expert but you should be ok to do a freshwater dip to give him some relief and buy some time til the pro's s can chime in. I just set upba Fowler tank and one of the fish my granddaughter has requested was ta dog face. Good luck, we're praying for both of you.
Thank you! My husband was happy since he didn't cost me any money. My problem is that I do not have a place to put him. I have a reef tank. My husband says we will absolutely not set up another tank for him! LOL But I am afraid of getting too attached! That is, if I could save him.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of the spots indicates ich for me, but that's a pretty bad infestation. I've used cupramine on puffers before but it's been awhile. I feel like some handled it and others did not. @Humblefish @melypr1985

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of the spots indicates ich for me, but that's a pretty bad infestation. I've used cupramine on puffers before but it's been awhile. I feel like some handled it and others did not. @Humblefish @melypr1985
Yeah. That's what I thought. I do have copper safe which I know is a little more mild. That's why I was wondering if he might be OK and need a more aggressive treatment.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also used Cupramine to treat dog face, porcupine and immaculate puffers recently. Those tagged above would know more than me though and am sure they will be chiming in soon.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks awful. You can do TTM with both the cardinals and the puffer, but I think I would go this route: Full therapeutic coppersafe for 10 days then switch them over to the other tank (after it was sterilized and newly set up for this transfer). You can then treat with prazipro in the new QT and observe for an additional two weeks afterward.

No, you wouldn't be able to keep the puffer in a 10 gallon for any meaningful length of time past QT. These are very large fish that eat a lot and poop a lot. They needs room to move around. Once you get him healed, try to find him a new home! It's a noble thing to rescue a fish like this.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks awful. You can do TTM with both the cardinals and the puffer, but I think I would go this route: Full therapeutic coppersafe for 10 days then switch them over to the other tank (after it was sterilized and newly set up for this transfer). You can then treat with prazipro in the new QT and observe for an additional two weeks afterward.

No, you wouldn't be able to keep the puffer in a 10 gallon for any meaningful length of time past QT. These are very large fish that eat a lot and poop a lot. They needs room to move around. Once you get him healed, try to find him a new home! It's a noble thing to rescue a fish like this.

Ok. Slowly raise the level right? Any advice on how much each day? (Coppersafe 10 gal QT) Then only leave them at therapeutic for 10 instead of 30? I have krill for him. I also have rods reef mix and mysis. Anything else? I'm sorry. I don't know much about puffers. But he is better here than there. I tested the ammonia in his water from the store....1!!!! Not .1 - 1!!! I was so mad!!!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Slowly raise the level right? Any advice on how much each day? (Coppersafe 10 gal QT) Then only leave them at therapeutic for 10 instead of 30? I have krill for him. I also have rods reef mix and mysis. Anything else? I'm sorry. I don't know much about puffers. But he is better here than there. I tested the ammonia in his water from the store....1!!!! Not .1 - 1!!! I was so mad!!!

Yes slowly raise the levels of the copper. Don't take too long though since that is a very bad case. Yes, but the key here is to switch him to a sterile QT without lowering the copper levels. You'll set the new tank up 10 feet away from this one and just switch him over. Then you can break down the old one and just use the new one. It's kind of a hybrid TTM/Copper deal.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've saved many puffers (usually with velvet) from Petco. This is the protocol I used every time: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/#post-2499437
Ok. I put 2.5 ml in tonight. I'll test and do another raise in the morning.
What is therapeutic level again? It has been a while.

CP would be better to use in the QT, but a Dogface Puffer should be tough enough to withstand Coppersafe or Copper Power.
Thank you!! I already have him in the QT and don't have the medications for the baths. I'll have to go ahead and start copper I think because of the severity of his case unless you feel different...
Yes slowly raise the levels of the copper. Don't take too long though since that is a very bad case. Yes, but the key here is to switch him to a sterile QT without lowering the copper levels. You'll set the new tank up 10 feet away from this one and just switch him over. Then you can break down the old one and just use the new one. It's kind of a hybrid TTM/Copper deal.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 43 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 29.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back